Powered Vent

Old 11-27-08, 10:49 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powered Vent

I just had to replace my old water heater which was a AO Smith powered vent water heater. The water heater vented into PVC pipe and out the side of my house. My new water heater is a Whirlpool 6 yr model.
My question is do i need to hook up the powered vent system? If so how can I get it to turn on when the heater kicks on? Does it have something to do with cooling the exhaust so it can be vented into PVC pipe? Or can I just hook up my new water heater without the vent system straight to the PVC pipe that vents outside?

Help is appreciated.

Jeff

Old 11-27-08, 04:17 PM
Back the truck up, Tim! First, the power vent model would not even turn on if you did not run the vent. Second, if you vented regular flue gas into PVC, you would melt it. Third, failure to install totally in accordance with the manufacurer's installation instructions is a code violation, AND dangerous

Why do you want to do what you said?

Old 11-27-08, 09:12 PM
J
Re

Originally Posted by 594tough View Post
Back the truck up, Tim! First, the power vent model would not even turn on if you did not run the vent. Second, if you vented regular flue gas into PVC, you would melt it. Third, failure to install totally in accordance with the manufacurer's installation instructions is a code violation, AND dangerous

Why do you want to do what you said?
I had this house built 12 years ago. Why they vented it into PVC I have no idea but it never melted in the 12 years I have owned this house.
The guy at Lowes told me I would have to install the powered vent onto the new water heater. I'm starting to think he didn't have any idea what he was talking about.
I have the water heater installed all except for the exhaust. Just wanted to know if the guy at Lowes was full of it and what to do now.

Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: