GE Hot water heating leaking

Old 12-04-08, 08:38 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Hot water heating leaking

I woke up last night to the sound of water or running water and i thought i was hallucinating...

last week we found our downstairs room where the gas and the water heater are had water everywhere on the floor, we tried running the water in the house to seek if we saw a leak etc...

nothing happened so we monitored it and no more water was apparent anywhere....i thought it was b/c of a repair to a drain pipe in the kitchen upstairs is from the week before, we just had our kitchen redone and i thought perhaps since we didn not go downstairs that was where the water came from....

so i go downstairs and i turn on the light and there i see water pouring from a copper tube that starts from the top of the water heater tank and points down to the floor....it seemed like there was too much water in the tank and it was pouring out hot, so i went to the kitchen downstairs, turned on the hot water in the kitchen sink and let it run, the water did stop coming out of the copper pipe after about 10-15 mins and as far as i can tell now, no more water has come out....we have been in our house for over a year and this is the 1st time this has ever happened.....

i stayed up last night until 4 in the morning researching online and it seems that i might have a problem with the T & P valve? but why would so much water come out? it looks like a few gallons at least, the floor is covered and it stopped when i used/ran hot water in the kitchen faucet, could the tank be overfilling and this is supposed to happen?

Old 12-04-08, 10:31 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
No, your water heater was not "overfilling" but there are two possible answers as to why the T&P valve was releasing water.

When you ran the hot water faucet in an attempt to get the T&P valve to close did you notice that the water was considerably hotter than normal? Were there clouds of steam also being released? If yes then you have a problem with the temperature regulator on the the water heater. If no then you may have an over pressurization problem.

Is this a gas-fired or an electric water heater? Could you post a few pictures of the water heater and the nearby piping? To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Old 12-06-08, 08:36 AM
WELL, I hope you have fixed your problem by now, but to summarize the situation:

the T/P valve leaks for 3 reasons:

1) it develops a faulty seat or seal
2) the temperature in the water heater, due to some malfunction, is TOO HIGH.
3) the pressure in the water main, due to malfunction of the house pressure regulator, is TOO HIGH.

Old 12-09-08, 09:33 AM
G
This just happened to my gas hot water heater last night. water just coming out the copper pipe that runs from the top of the heater and then bends pointing towards the floor. I turned the water off and the leak stopped but now i have no hot water (no water). SO I called a plumber and he said I needed a new heater and it would be almost 900.oo dollars. Does this sound right?

Old 12-09-08, 09:51 AM
G
Old 12-09-08, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, if the plumber actually came to visit, we'll have to assume he checked all the basic stuff.

Don't know why he would say you need a replacement though. T&P valves can be replaced. Thermostats can be replaced. Gas valves can be replaced.
If the heater is old, then it may make more sense to replace it than go through all the parts, only to have the tank fail in 2 yrs.

$900 seems kinda high to me, but I only look at tank costs, since I can do the work myself. Maybe one of the Pro's will weigh in with costs, but a lot depends on the area you live in.

Old 12-09-08, 10:14 AM
G
Thank you for replying. I bought this house 8 years ago. I dont know how old the heater is. He did not look at it. he just said over the phone ,it would have to be replaced. He was the second plumber I talked too. It is a 68 gallon GE tank. I have looked on the tank and I cant find an install date or any date. How old is old with these things? Im in Boston.

Last edited by gizelda196; 12-09-08 at 10:15 AM. Reason: living
Old 12-09-08, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, theres some of the reasons for the cost. Very big WH and high expense area.

Don't like the fact they just said replace it without a visit, but sounds like they are more familiar with water conditions and issues in that area than I ever would be. 8 y/o gas unit (at least) only has a couple of years left, if it was new when you moved in, which is pretty unlikely.

If you feel like posting the model number and serial number, we could probably tell you the age.

Old 12-09-08, 10:34 AM
G
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Well, theres some of the reasons for the cost. Very big WH and high expense area.

Don't like the fact they just said replace it without a visit, but sounds like they are more familiar with water conditions and issues in that area than I ever would be. 8 y/o gas unit (at least) only has a couple of years left, if it was new when you moved in, which is pretty unlikely.

If you feel like posting the model number and serial number, we could probably tell you the age.
serial geng0300d15699
model sg40t12a

Old 12-09-08, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Well, from what I have in my references...looks like yours was made in March of 2000. So worst case..it's was prob about time, best case maybe another 5-7 years.

A lot depends on usage, maintenance and water quality.

EDIT: It looks like thats a 40 gal unit...not a 68 gal. It also looks like it has a 12 year warranty on the tank and functional parts...whatever functional parts means. Don't know whether that applies to the original owner only, or what restrictions it may have. Might be worth a call to GE about it.

SG40T12AQJ00 - GEŽ Gas Water Heater - Features And Photos

Old 12-09-08, 11:26 AM
G
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
IT IS UNDER WARANTY ,and they are shipping some valve thing out to me by tomorrow am. I just called and cancelled the new tank with that plumber. Now I just need to find somebody to install this valve! Not going to use that plumber!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! you just saved my christmas.

Old 12-09-08, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
I hope that was the only problem, not just a symptom. At least you know the warranty is still good.

Old 12-09-08, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Good research Gunguy! ..................................

Old 12-19-08, 10:27 PM
S
help someone

My husband and i just bought a foreclosure,,, this house is huge and has two water heaters,,,,one is working fine, the other was only working sometimes, so, me being a deceased plumbers daughter decided to investigate, ,,, i took the screws out where the thermostat is and turned the thermostat up and it made NO noise at all, I then decided to hit the reset button and when i did it said ZAAAAP and shot sparks out at me,,,,, i noticed that the little peice of insulation in there was a tiny bit damp, but after we shut the electricity of to it, i tried to pull out that plastic peice that holds that little door that screws off and on when i did a little water ran out of there,,,, is my water heater ruined??? does anyone know what might have caused that water to get in there??? it wasnt much but i am sure that is what caused it to short out, i cant afford a new one right now

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: