very faint gas odour near control knob

Old 12-06-08, 06:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
very faint gas odour near control knob

after completing recent repairs to my water heater, I am now noticing a cery faint gas smell when i put my nose right under the conrol knob(the one for pilot/Off/ON).

Is this a normal condition that is not vecessarily dangerous or something more serious. I think I read here that the grease covering the threads of the control knob has been removed, in which case I would need to repack it I guess??

any help or ideas? thanks

Old 12-07-08, 04:36 AM
H
Normally there should not be any odor from the control. Try making a soapy water mixer with a little dish soap and dabbing it around the control. Be sure to dab some on the tubes coming out of the bottom as well.

If it's one of the connections to the control, fix as necessary, if it's the control it self, it will need to be replaced. There is nothing to repack with grease on it.

Old 12-07-08, 06:41 AM
J
even after shutting of the main gas supply(the one going into control knob and waiting several hours, the odour is still there, so I dont believe this is a leak.

Old 12-07-08, 08:56 AM
J
I actually put soapy solution around the couplings and control knob while the burner was on.

I did not notice any bubbles, can I assume this is safe?

also there was a brownish-beige grease under the control knob and it seems as though the soap removed it partly. should it be replaced? will petroleum jelly work? is it also ok to pack some petroleum jelly around couplings as well?

thanks.

Old 12-09-08, 03:16 AM
H
Originally Posted by jack_bg

I did not notice any bubbles, can I assume this is safe?

I would never assume anything although it's a good start. Since you still smell the odor when the control knob is off, I would find someone with a water manometer and leak test it, including the gas line from the inline shut off. This is the only sure fire way to determine whether or now there is a leak.

I wouldn't worry about packing anything with petroleum jelly or grease.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: