How do I turn on my electric water heater?

Old 12-18-08, 07:20 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I turn on my electric water heater?

I just bought a home. The water heater is only a few years old and I know the hot water worked previously. The previous owner moved out at the beginning of November. He must have done something to turn of the heater so he wouldn't have to pay the extra costs to keep it running. I have checked the circuit breaker and pressed the reset button but still no hot water. My grandfather (a retired plumber) says that it is possible that the electric meter is disconnected. If this is the case, how do I fix it? And could there be another reason for the tank not heating? Thank you very much! Katie

Old 12-18-08, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
first...make sure the tank has water in it, by running the hot water at a faucet. IF you get good flow, then the tank should be full.

Throw the ckt breaker to full off, then on. Look around the WH for some sort of electrical box. It may have a disconnect for the WH inside, I believe it is required in some places, maybe all. It should be labeled I would think.

Also look for a timer control, or an electronic control that may have been installed by the power utility.

If you have power in the rest of the house, the electric meter isn't disconnected.

Old 12-19-08, 07:44 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the tip. We figured out that there was no power at all the heater so we took out the breaker completely and put it back in. Voila! It works now! I don't know what the previous owner did... why didn't he just turn the breaker off? Anyways, thanks again!

Originally Posted by Gunguy45
first...make sure the tank has water in it, by running the hot water at a faucet. IF you get good flow, then the tank should be full.

Throw the ckt breaker to full off, then on. Look around the WH for some sort of electrical box. It may have a disconnect for the WH inside, I believe it is required in some places, maybe all. It should be labeled I would think.

Also look for a timer control, or an electronic control that may have been installed by the power utility.

If you have power in the rest of the house, the electric meter isn't disconnected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: