Replacing whirlpool gas control vavle on water heater

Old 01-14-09, 05:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing whirlpool gas control vavle on water heater

The pilot won't stay lit and after replacing thermal couple did some more research and decided it was the gas control valve. I took everything apart and noticed the original one has calcium built up all around the tip of the temp probe (which is surrounded in plastic). The free replacement I got from whirlpool warranty has the plastic around it too. So this is obviously going to happen again. Is the plastic around it for a reason? Or can I just cut it off? This water heater is only 10 months old so I don't feel like doing all this every year.

Old 01-14-09, 10:38 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Without the plastic the calcium would likely build up even faster. Normally I would advise you to get rid of the Whirlpool water heater as they have a poor reputation among all professional plumbers and get a better unit. However, since Whirlpool gave you the new control valve go ahead and install it.

I would strongly advise you to flush that water heater at no less than three month intervals if your water is that hard that it covers a plastic thermal sensor in less than a year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: