Programmable thermostat for water heater

Old 01-21-09, 10:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Programmable thermostat for water heater

I have a State natural gas water heater, and I am thinking about adding a programmable thermostat to it. Ultimately, an on-demand system is the way to go, but I can't afford that right now. How difficult is it to add a programmable thermostat to a water heater? Somebody told me I would have to drain the tank to do this. Is that correct?

Old 01-21-09, 03:33 PM
Z
Have you found a programmable T-stat for a gas water heater yet? They were around for awhile but not popular. With the implementation of newer flame safeguard units they were not applicable anymore.

Of course if it is a power vented unit, a $10 wall plug in timer would turn it on and off.

Old 01-31-09, 03:03 PM
E
Red face gas water heater timer

Please explain the "power vented unit" you mention in your comments. I don't know how to check if our H2O heater is compatable to the timer I found (patent # 6920843). The timer says it is for use with gas H2O heaters. Please share with me how you check for compatability for the $10 power vented unit you speak of.

Originally Posted by ZL700
Have you found a programmable T-stat for a gas water heater yet? They were around for awhile but not popular. With the implementation of newer flame safeguard units they were not applicable anymore.

Of course if it is a power vented unit, a $10 wall plug in timer would turn it on and off.

Old 02-01-09, 10:33 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If your water heater has a blower on it that is plugged into an electrical receptacle and the blower operates when the burner in the water heater is firing then you have a power vented unit. Since the burner cannot operate without the blower first being in operation by merely plugging the blower into the timer and then plugging the timer into the receptacle you can program the timer to when you desire the water heater to operate.

Understand that the benefits of using a timer on a water heater will be minimal unless you go for long periods (more than 12 hours and likely more than 24 hours) without using hot water.

Old 02-01-09, 04:45 PM
Altering the installation of a water heater violates manufacturer's instructions and therefore is a code violation.

While what you propose makes some logical sense, and may seem safe, there may be some unintended "issues" that none of us has thought of. I would not do it unless you had a letter from the manufacturer of the heater approving such a modification.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: