Electric or Gas for water heater?

Old 01-23-09, 11:20 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Electric or Gas for water heater?

I am thinking about getting a new water heater.
I would like to know if I should go for gas or electric. We're a family of 4. I currently have a 40 gallon natural gas water heater. However, gas prices here have gone up quite a bit recently and the water heater is the only gas appliance I have. I live in northern BC, Canada.
Electricity is pretty cheap here and we recently switched to electric heat and saved a lot of money.
Gas price: 16.606 per Gigajoule
Electric price: 0.067 per kWh
Also, the chimney may need to be replaced if we keep the gas water heater. It's in pretty bad shape.
Please don't consider installation costs. I would just like to consider cost of the heater and cost to operate.
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-09, 11:42 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Install an 80 gallon electric with the highest rated insulation and you'll never look back.

I wouldn't recommend this usually but when you are on BC Hydro (either directly or through a local power company purchasing from BC Hydro) you can't go wrong with electric.

Old 01-24-09, 09:19 AM
Z
Yup, we have BC Hydro here
and PNG for gas

Old 01-24-09, 03:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 961 Votes on 882 Posts
How often do you loose power (electricity)? If you are on city water you can still take a hot shower if you have a gas water heater. If you do not have city water you can run your well pump off a generator. You have to weigh that benefit against fuel prices.

Old 01-24-09, 04:53 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
More than once I was without power for three days and with an eighty gallon tank-type water heater I was still able to take a comfortable shower on the third day.

Old 01-24-09, 07:37 PM
Z
We have HUGE snow storms, but the power almost never goes out. Even if it does go out it never last more than 30 minutes.
And than only happens about once every 2 years or so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: