space restriction for p trap on WH drain line

Old 02-11-09, 09:20 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
space restriction for p trap on WH drain line

Evening.
Putting in new electric WH, moving to different location from current one for host of reasons-all good. My issue is that I can only elevate the WH approx. 6 inches off floor. Don't think I have enough clearance in that 6 inches to put P trap, plus make 3 foot run (with enough slope) to connect to drain stack. Considered running WH pan drain line into condensate pump to drain it if it ever leaked, but am thinking that is bad idea.
I have plenty of room(height) to pipe from the TPRV into a proper drain line, but figured I should also provide drain for the pan/liner.
Some specifics:
Location is laundry room. Walk-in basement, concrete floors (will finish floors in near future), located against wet wall, have a floor drain 2 feet on other side of wet wall (bathroom), but would rather not run the drain line through drywall to end at floor drain.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-09, 05:55 PM
You have some issues here. If you run a trapped line to a waste stack, for the WH pan, then that trap will require a trap primer.

Then, the discharge line from the TP cannot connect directly to a drain line. Sometimes you will see it run to an indirect standpipe connection, like the WM standpipe. Some places the code will require it to terminate outside the building. Need to clear up your local code requirements on this.

Old 02-12-09, 09:24 PM
G
Thanks for the good reply, 594. I should apologize for not explaining things better. Am thinking of also draining water softener into a same standpipe as WH pan drain line. It recharges at least weekly, so should keep p trap wet unless you disagree.
Local code is OK with standpipe drain for WH, they even allow for water softener drain into washing machine standpipe in new construction.
In codecheck, it looks like the TPRV can discharge to the pan (which would be nice) for IRC but not UPC. I have to check again and see what we here subscribe to. If I have to drain TPRV elsewhere, I will go to a second standpipe off the above P trap, and make some kind of air gap so that I can meet the 'within 6 inch' but not touching/contaminating rule. The only way it can terminate out of the building is to run 20 feet on top the floor in the middle of the basement and out a 6 inch concrete wall. Want to avoid that.
Thanks for the advice. Don't hesitate to opine more...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: