Hot Water Problem...

Old 02-18-09, 06:48 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Problem...

Hi,

I have a State Censible 510e Electric 220V water heater Model Number PV 40 20RT8 F. It's about 15 years old.

I'm not getting the amount of hot water that I used to get...it's coming out luke warm, and showers are starting to run cool toward the end of a ten minute shower.

Anyone want to take a stab at this? Are we most likely talking heating elements? If so, does anyone know the part number?

Thanks!

Maitai

Old 02-19-09, 01:30 PM
M
Any Takers?

Can anybody help with a reply?

Thanks,

Maitai

Old 02-19-09, 02:46 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The time period when your water heater was manufactured there were problems with the "dip tube" used in many different manufacturer's water heaters. The dip tube is an internal piece that directs the incoming water from the connection on the top of the water heater to the bottom of the tank.

What happened with the defective dip tubes is the plastic compound used was inferior and the dip tubes would crumble and break apart. When this happened they would discharge the incoming cold water higher in the tank and the result was the water heater could no longer supply the rated amount of hot water and eventually the incoming cold water would mix with the hot water at the top of the tank lowering the temperature of the water coming out of the tank.

The first indication of a failing dip tube was unusual white or grey plastic chips that found their way to the aerators on the ends of faucets and these chips were blocking the flow of water from the faucet.

Have you had any problems over the years with such chips in your faucet aerators?

At this point I have to state that you may be able to replace just the dip tube (if that is indeed the problem) but you may want to consider replacing the heater itself. While many electric water heaters do last for more than fifteen years the average life of an electric is usually less than twenty years under the best of conditions. However, you can probably buy a new dip tube from your local big box mega home center for less than ten dollars and the work to replace it is usually fairly simple in that you need to remove the cold water supply pipe to the water heater and the dip tube should lift right out of the tank tapping. You may need to cut the replacement dip tube to the proper length (it should come within a few inches of the bottom of the tank) to fit but this would be an easy fix.

Of course there is no guarantee that your water heater wouldn't die with a week of the dip tube replacement but if you are strapped for funds (who isn't these days?) it could be an inexpensive repair that might work for the time being.

Old 02-19-09, 02:49 PM
M
Hi Furd,

WOW, thank you so much for that great post! I will check on the chips and look into that dip tube

Thanks again for such a thorough response!

Maitai

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: