Water on top of Gas Water Heater

Old 02-23-09, 11:51 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water on top of Gas Water Heater

I have a Richmond 40gal hot water heater and I have water on top dripping down the sides into the floor. The water doesnt seem to be coming from the inlet or outlet or the pressure valve. When you press on the top of the heater water comes up from around the fittings and the screw holes for the vent. Is this coming from a busted tank? The water isnt brown it is clean. Is there something other than the tank that could cause this? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance I am not sure how old this is it was in the house when we bought it 2 years ago. Serial number is Ser. RCN 1195138279

Old 02-23-09, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'll bet the age is 1195-------- or Nov 1995 so 14 yrs old.

And yes, you probably have a pinhole in the tank, if you can't find any leackage at any joints or fittings. Its probably still pretty smal and is just soaking into the insulation.

Start shopping.

Old 02-23-09, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you cannot physically see a leak especially around the inlet and outlet fittings, you most likely have a pinhole leak as Gunguy has mentioned. If the serial number date code works the same as State water heaters, then I once again agree with Gunguy and say the warrany date is Nov. 1995 and is most likely out of warranty
Be prepared, water heater prices have skyrocketed since 1995.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: