Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve leaking

Old 02-28-09, 10:35 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve leaking

There is a steady drip from my hot water heater. The temperature gauge has been in the same spot for God knows how long, so I'm assuming the problem is with the heater pressure. I've read all all about the direction of the pressure temperature relief valve, and I think it's fine (6 to 12 inches off the surface. It leaks steadily all the time since I noticed it, but then it starts leaking quite heavilywhen the hot water is being used (about a full glass of water is released), such as the shower or the dishwasher or the washing machine. Could it be a problem with the valve itself? And does anyone have any advice regarding thermal expansion tanks? Can I have both this and a TP valve? Is it true that input pressure to a residence should be no more than 60 psi?

Thanks, any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-09, 11:21 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Loki, you are asking about a stand alone water heater, used for domestic hot water, and NOT the heating system in your home?
Is that correct?

This is not really the forum for this if so...

Before we move you though, you asked a few questions, which make me want to ask one back atcha...

Do you HAVE an expansion tank on the water heater cold line going in? If you DO and it has lost it's proper air charge, this could cause the problem you are seeing.

Yes, you can have both an expansion tank AND a relief valve.

Domestic city water pressure varies all over the place, but 60-80 PSI is pretty 'normal'...

Old 02-28-09, 01:00 PM
L
Leaking hot water heater

Yes, I have an expansion tank on the cold line...how can I check that it has the proper air charge? Thanks!

Old 02-28-09, 02:58 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm moving your thread here to 'WATER HEATERS' and hopefully the folks here can give better, or correct if I'm wrong, information.

Turn off the water heater.

Close the shutoff valve in the cold line leading to the water heater.

Open a hot water tap to relieve the pressure in the water system.

Using an ACCURATE tire pressure gauge on the air fitting on the tank, adjust the pressure as required using a small air compressor or a bicycle pump. Without knowing the 'nominal' water pressure in your area, I can't say what to pressurize it to, but 50-60 PSI is probably close enough...

You _may_ need a new expansion tank... if the rubber bladder inside has ruptured and won't hold air.

Old 03-02-09, 06:22 AM
G
Is water heater too heavy for my attic?

I need to replace leaky water heater in the attic. The one I have right now is 40 gal and it's definitely not enough for jetted bathtub I have. I wonder is it ok to put 66 gal there or is it not safe to put that much weight in the attic? Water heater is installed on plywood subfloor with 6x2 beam under it and another 6x2 about two feet from it and 4x2 beams across.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: