I've researched, but tired. any help, no water

Old 03-19-09, 08:27 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've researched, but tired. any help, no water

I researched but cant seem to find what I'm looking for. Earlier in day, all was fine had hot water. Later in day, no hot water at all. Turned on hot spigot and water comes out but not even close to being warm. Went downstairs, (electric hot water heater), checked breaker and it wasnt tripped, checked the high limit switch (which i just learned about) and I had to reset it. Thought that would be the fix, however waited an hour or so, turned water on again, still no hot water. WTF? Anyone that can help me out, I appreciate it. This is ridiculous. It is an 80 gallon tank, (if that info is needed).

Unit was in house when I moved in (3 years ago), but looks really good and new looking. Only minor rust / corrosion around the copper lines coming in/out. No leaking, just wont heat water.

1. Possible thermostat(s) both? can I replace them?
2. Could I have a bad breaker? (even though it wasnt tripped)

anything else? thank you in advance to anyone who replies. I do alot of work around home myself cause I like to , and cant afford repair persons. I'm just a dumb fireman, thats all I know. Again, thanks.

Old 03-19-09, 11:09 PM
R
Maybe your heating element is bad. Call a hardware store near you and they should be able to give you info on that. If not go to Lowes and ask them.

Old 03-20-09, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You should reset the breaker from full off to full on...it may have tripped and not given a good movement of the handles. Some do that.

Old 03-20-09, 01:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if that doesnt work then your only option besides calling a plumber if you cant determine what is bad is to start replacing parts starting with the upper t-stat

Old 03-20-09, 05:34 PM
I
got water now, but...

I was able to replace the heating elements. Water is nice and hot now. Only issue is, I tested the pressure relief valve? I think thats what its called, like the tag on it says once a year (i've never done it) now it is sloooowwwly leaking. I assume I can replace that too? I have to drain the tank just below the level of that valve first? Thanks again to all who replied

Old 03-20-09, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Try really flushing out the T&P valve first...Let it run for a minute or so and let it snap back in position..it may just have some crud in the valve seat.

Some people say you can swap them if you are fast by just closing the supply, turning off power and letting the vacuum hold the water (hmm maybe that was the elements). If its mounted on the top or a few inches down on the side..I'd just let it drain till no more water comes out...then a bit more.

Whats a few gallons of water cost?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: