Bradford White natural gas Hotwater heater

Old 03-23-09, 09:57 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bradford White natural gas Hotwater heater

Model MI40TSLN10, 40 gallon, natural gas, w/Hydrojet

I have the above hot water heater. I'm pretty sure it is the original water heater that was installed in our home when it was built in 1994. I also would assume the previous owners (including myself since 2005) never drained it yearly to reduce the sediment. There is a label on the heater that says it has Hydrojet technology, which means it may have an internal fan that churns the sediment and drains it (although I've never ever noticed it draining into the drain in the basement)--who knows, maybe that feature no longer works as it is probably 15 years old now. I do notice less hot water in reserve these days, so I am assuming it is definitely filling up w/sediment, reducing the volume from 40 gallons to who knows.

My question is this: Even though the tank is probably 15 years old and probably never has been drained to reduce sediment, is it OK to do it now? It is a natural gas unit, one person told me it is safe to do so as there should be nothing inside to damage. Another person told me that draining it would do no good as a lot of the old hot water heaters had plastic dip tubes that slowly dissolved over time as the sediment layer rises.

So, can I drain it, or should I just up the temp for a while until the sediment rises to the top and I pretty much have no hot water in reserve (and then buy a new hot water heater)?

Old 03-23-09, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if it has never been done and is 15 years old then there would little if any benefit from doing it now. 15 years places this towards the end of the dip tube problem era and very well could be your problem. being that the heater is 15 years old i would suggest replacing it as it is towards the end of its life and past its life expectancy

Old 03-23-09, 10:37 AM
N
Hot water heater

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I was thinking about going w/a tankless hot water heater, especially since I think I saw a $1500 tax credit for installing one this year.

Old 03-23-09, 12:39 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
That tax credit is not $1500. but 30% of the installed cost of the tankless water heater up to a maximum of $1500. If your tankless installation comes to $2000. (not unreasonable) then your tax credit would be $600. Do you really want to spend $2000. AND have all the additional things that go along with tankless just to save $600.?

BTW, that "hydrojet" technology simply means the dip tube is curved on the bottom end and causes the incoming cold water to swirl around the bottom of the tank. The swirling has the tendency to keep the solids in suspension and they exit with the outflowing hot water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: