GE SG40T Problem

Old 04-12-09, 08:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE SG40T Problem

I have a 1 year old GE Water Heater, every few days I'm seeing a good size puddle of water around the base of the unit and the surronding few feet. Water is being released from the pressure relive pipe.
Any thoughts how I can fix this and why it might be doing this?

Thanks

Old 04-13-09, 07:17 AM
Z
Google "Hot water heater thermal expansion" and you shall find out why and how to address.

The potable water expansion tank is your best remedy though

Old 04-13-09, 09:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you need to find out what is causing the t&p to release water. it is either a temperature or a pressure problem. pressure problems usually just dump a little water out where a temp. problem will blow off at full pressure until the sensor cools down which is usually when the tank has nothing but cold water left in it. once you determine why it is releasing water you then need to figure out why it is releasing the water. it could be you need a pressure reducing valve installed which may mean you would also need an expansion tank as mentioned earlier.

having a professional out to properly troubleshoot this problem without spending all kinds of money installing or replacing things till they get the right thing would be prudent and you will know what to look for and do if it ever happens again

Old 04-14-09, 09:11 PM
Z
All true, but if it was releasing on temp, I'm sure the scalding hot water at the taps, the flooded basement and the steam bath near the heater would all be noticible. In addition the GV would sense the high temp and open the ECO, thus making the valve non-functioning and useless.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: