Hot water heater pilot shuts off after burner is active

Old 05-05-09, 06:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Hot water heater pilot shuts off after burner is active

I replaced the whole burner assembly in the hot water heater installed in the house I just bought. The tank should be about 5 years old. The pilot lights and does great until the tank is drained and the burner kicks in. The burner will run for about 5-10 minuted then shut the whole thing down, including the pilot. It seems like it is getting too hot and overworking. It also seems as if the thermal coupler is working like it should and it is brand new so I doubt its bad. I can keep the pilot going if I dont turn up the temperature to high and make the burner work. I have been taking gradual steps up in the temperature but after we take a shower, run the dishwasher, laundry, the burner kicks in and goes out after a little bit of time. What else could it be?

Old 05-05-09, 07:47 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Casey, this should really be in the 'water heaters' forum, but before I move it there, tell us what make/model your water heater is?

Old 05-06-09, 12:03 PM
C
Make is a state waterheater, im not sure of the model number right now, its at my house.

Old 05-06-09, 02:51 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Casey, this is from one of the PDF files at State Industries | Instruction Manuals, Residential Gas

BURNER WILL NOT STAY LIT

Thermocouple TCO malfunction. Replace pilot assembly.

High ambient room temperature. Contact a service agency to
determine cause.

Dirty or clogged air intake screen. Clean and reinstall air intake screen.

Flame arrestor openings blocked. Contact a service agency to
determine cause.

Defective Gas Control. Replace Gas Control.

I'm moving this over to the 'water heater' forum, perhaps these fellers can help ya out...

Old 05-06-09, 11:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
he need to go down that list nj trooper gave you. first check to make sure nothing is blocking the intake screens then check to make sure the vent is completely hooked up then the thermocoupler. those are the main problems i find with this particular type of heaters

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: