Weird pilot light issue

Old 05-27-09, 07:33 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird pilot light issue

Hi all. I have a issue with the pilot light on my water heater. I noticed the other night that i had no hot water. Went to the basement, and saw that the water heater's pilot was not lit. I relit it and it came on normally. The water heated up and everything was fine, and I had hot water that night. The next day, cold water again. Pilot was once again out. Relit the pilot, and it came on again, and seemed to function normally. This pattern has repeated itself a couple times. Any ideas?
thermocoupler?

Old 05-27-09, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I believe the thermocouple, if bad, will not allow the pilot to stay on after you release the button. You didn't say what it did as the main burner fired, as the burner runs, and after the burner goes out. That would be important to the diagnoses.

I'd guess low gas pressure or a bad gas valve, but thats a pure guess, no plumber here.

Posting the brand, model and serial number of the WH will allow the Pro's to give better answers.

Also, do you have other gas appliances in the house? Notice anything different with them?

Old 05-29-09, 11:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The most likely problem is a dirty npilot light that allows the pilot light to be blown out, usually when the main burner shuts off. You can cycle the burner on and off several times and you will probably observe that happen.

You'd need to disassemble the pilot burner and clean the pilot orifice and the pilot burner and reassemble the pilot burner. Odds are that will solve the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: