Gas water heater t-stat

Old 07-02-09, 02:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas water heater t-stat

I have an older Richmond 5V40-7 40 gallon Natural Gas Water Heater with a Robertshaw 66-136-308 R110RTSP Thermostat. The pilot light went out, so I tried to light it. It would not stay lighted. I replaced the thermocouple, but that did not work. I guess the t-stat needs to be replaced. I would like to replace the entire heater, but money is a little short right now. Where can I find a replacement t-stat, or should I bite the bullet and buy a new one? Its a 6 year heater and its been in service for at least 10 years and maybe more.

Old 07-03-09, 11:34 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
With ten years on the heater you are just tossing good money in a hole trying to replace the thermostatic gas valve. The thermostatic gas valve is a significant portion of the cost of a new water heater.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-06-09, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Guessing doesn't cut it on parts replacements.

I'd say the odds are a good deal higher that the pilot orifice and pilot burner need cleaning and replacement that that the thermostat needs to be replaced. It's rare for the gas valve magnet to be so bad it wont hold when properly energized.

There could be other possible problems as well.

My advice: quit guessing and have a competent repairman inspect the equipment.

Old 07-06-09, 08:27 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What does the pilot flame look like? Does it cover the end of the t-couple? You'll find that the thermostatic gas valve is a lot more expensive than may have thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: