pilot light keeps going out

Old 07-30-09, 01:10 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pilot light keeps going out

in my water heater my pilot light keeps going out the next day after i light it. I have installed a new thermocouple in it and that did NOT fix the problem. I removed the burner and cleaned that off with steal wool, and that also did not fix the problem. I'm told it could be aproblem with the gas line, or the control valve. how do i test the control valve? I turned the system on and off 3 times to see if the pilot light would go out and i did not. Any way to help diagnose this or things it could be? Also my control vavle is weird and has alof of wires running into it, whereas the ones in the hardware store do not and look much more simple than mine. If i simply replace the unit would this fix the problem?

Old 07-30-09, 02:44 PM
Water heater problem

It would help a lot if you can post the heaters model number.

Old 07-31-09, 02:13 PM
H
water heater

State Select, Model PR650NOVET, and is 6 years old.

Old 08-01-09, 04:26 PM
If this dates from after July 2003, and is the type with the sealed combustion chamber, there are issued too numberous and complicated to even get into on State WH ( AO Smith Co.). You should contact the mfg, and they should replace the gas valve and thermocuople assy. You should not try to fix this yourself. At least the AO Smiths made for Lowes under the Whirlpool name had a class action suit to bail them out, but I don't think anyone ever got that far with State.

Old 08-07-09, 08:05 AM
H
manufacturer

who is the manufacturer and why should I not replace this myself?

i woudl definatly like to call the manufacturer but i'm not sure who to call...

Old 08-08-09, 09:43 AM
H
help

can anyone help me out with this and/or what i should do next?

Old 08-09-09, 12:25 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Doesn't the heater have a 1-800 number? If yes, then call that number. If not, then call 1-800-365-0024

Old 08-13-09, 04:54 AM
L
There is a reason that the pilot keeps going out. The pilot light is part of what's called the pilot safety shut off system. It is designed to cut off the pilot and the main burner in case of an unsafe situation. Since you have already replaced the thermocouple, that tells me that a bad TC was not your problem. It may be a clogged pilot assembly or a malfunctioning control valve.

What happens if it is a broken safety system and you unintentionally by-pass a safety system? You risk harming you, your family and your neighbors over trying to save a few dollars on a service call.

It may be time to call a professional.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: