Water hotter than normal, runs our frequently

Old 08-28-09, 09:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water hotter than normal, runs our frequently

I have an old Kenmore Power Miser Mark II electric water heater. Lately I have noticed that the light indicating that hot water has run out comes on frequently, and stays on for a very long time. Also, the water appears hotter than normal. What could be wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Old 08-31-09, 08:29 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds as though your lower thermostat or element isn't working. That could be due to a bad element, a bad lower thermostat, or a bad upper thermostat.

Start by turning off the pwer to the WH, removing the wires to the lower element and measuring its resistance. You should have about 15 or 16 ohms across the connectors. IF that checks good, replace both thermostats.

Old 09-01-09, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
But before any replacements are done if the element are good before I replaced the thermostats would also check the hot water

with the tank up to temp cut the power run the hot water in the sink when it runs cold turn off the water to the tank and start draining the water from the bottom of the tank think about draining the whole tank. If the water startes to come out warm or hot you can stop draining tank what we have just found is a bad dip tube in the tank. But if the water runs cold to the bottom of the tank i would re place the thermostats

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: