Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Just bought a new house and the water heater is 36 years old and rusty????

Old 09-17-09, 03:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I bought a house which is roughly 36 years old. When we inspected the house we ran the hot water and it seemed fine. Nice and hot, almost too hot.

The house has well water with a water softener but no house sediment filter or such. I would like to add one though.

I noticed that our hot water smells rusty like?

I decided to drain it and sure enough the water was brown coming out of the drain line and allot of chunks of sediment and such. Turns out the water heater is as old as I am 36 years old. Its dated to 10/1973! I really couldn't check the year on the heater when we looked at the house because it was so tightly wrapped with insulation. And old stuff so I know it wasn't added any time in the past.

We have an AHS home warranty on the house and now I want to push to have the heater replaced? What can I use to do so? I feel the inside has to be totally corroded seeing how it's 36 years old. Also its heating to near scallding and the temps are set at 120 top and bottom!

Any suggestions? I had to flush the heater for nearly a half hour into the sump pump via hose and it's still a tad brown. At first you couldn't see thru the water draining into a white bucket. Now you can but it's still very dirty?

My kids have been bathing in this and I guess mixed with the cold we really didn't notice it. The tub is a beige color so it didn't stand out.

Can anyone offer some suggestions if I call the warranty company. I Feel its time to replace.

Thanks
Spankey

Old 09-17-09, 07:29 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
If I were the home warranty company, I would not pay for a new water heater just because yours is: a) old, and b) with sediment.
Doug

Old 09-17-09, 02:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
Bite the bullet and buy a new one - you had a chance to see it before you bought it.

Old 09-17-09, 03:46 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You might want to just skip AHS and replace it. You are going to pay that fee and who knows what will happen. And how much will you get towards the replacement anyway? They aren't going to pay the full amount. Who knows what kind of contractor will show up.

I had AHS when I bought my house. There was a problem with the a/c so I had them come out. The company that finnaly came out seemed ok. But what they did didn't fix the problem. They did a poor diagnosis. So I tried to get them to come out again and they were a big pain in the ass so I dropped them. I called another local company. They did the proper diagnosis and were able to fix the problem. They also had to add freon into the system that the 1st company took out. So it cost me more money than it was worth to use AHS.

Old 09-17-09, 03:57 PM
S
Well it turns out they are replacing the heater!

Due to its age they can't get parts for it and its about shot as well. It's 36 years old and the plumber said its a record from what he has seen and he's been in the business 30 years!

The rust and sediment is 100% covered!

Also if I Can pay $60 to have it replaced vs me paying out of pocket $450 installed??? Well do the math there. Whats the point of having a home warranty if you don't use it or at least try!

Thanks for the info though! I have heard that AHS had some issues in the past but has since turned around and now trying to step up!

Old 09-17-09, 04:00 PM
S
Originally Posted by mitch17
Bite the bullet and buy a new one - you had a chance to see it before you bought it.
I did, I bit the $60 bullet!!!!!!Beer 4U2

Old 09-17-09, 04:47 PM
S
flush that one ever year on the installed date and you will get 30 plus years on that one also....

Old 09-17-09, 04:55 PM
S
They are replacing it full with a brand new one.

My buddy had an old dishwasher and it developed a hole in the bottom of the bowl area. The plumber said it can't be fixed and it needs to be replaced with a new one! Sure enough next day they installed a brand new whirlpool and was allotted $700 to the new dishwasher. So they don't work in that way as to pay a prorated cost to the old appliance. If they can't fix it or stop the issue, they replace it full.

To me for $500 a year it's a small piece of mind. Again the rep informed me that they cover Rust and Sediment, if it can't be cleaned and or the heating elements replaced with new ones, it gets replaced with a new heater.

I guess I lucked out!Beer 4U2

Old 10-02-09, 01:20 PM
J
I am glad to hear that you were able to get your water heater replaced. A little over A year ago I bought a house with a 40+ year old water heater. I was in a very similar situation and had HSA warranty paid by the seller of the home. I figured the same thing, "If I have the warranty I may as well try to use it." When the owner of a local plumbing company came to look at it I told him it may be one of the older heaters he has seen recently. He said that he sees all types, just then we turned the corner so he could see it. He was quite surprised and said it should definitely be replaced. I had no problems with the warranty company covering it, other than having to pay an extra $15 disposal fee on top of the $60 deductible. Paying $75 on a $1053 bill was well worth the effort to submit a claim with the warranty company.

Why have it if you aren't going to at least try to use it?

Old 10-02-09, 04:36 PM
S
I agree. They installed a new 50g Bradford and it only cost me $60 for the service call. To me it was a job well done. The company was top notch to deal with and they treated me great.

As soon as he seen the heater he knew he couldn't get parts for it as it was so dang old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: