Venting for PVC Power Vent WH

Old 09-28-09, 12:19 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting for PVC Power Vent WH

I recently converted my house from LP to natural gas and now I think it's time to replace the 20+ yr electric WH with a natural gas unit. I don't have any means of venting this unit out a chimney stack because I don't have one. My furnace is a 90% efficient unit and is currently PVC vented out the front of my house. I was planning on venting the WH out the front as well by running another PVC pipe parallel to the furnace venting.

Here is my dilemma, I have a cold air return in the way of running a vent line directly to the front of my house. I'm assuming I can't run the line through the cold air return (right??). Next if I can successfully run the pipe to the front somehow using a couple extra 90 elbows, I would be within 3' of my furnace venting and about three 3' below a window. According the installation manual, I need to be 3' above the furnace venting if less than 10'. This would bring the PVC vent even with the window, but 3' to the side. Is this okay, or am I to close to the window?

I really don't have much option of venting the WH to the back as it will be on my deck next to a pedestrian door to my gargage and directly below a window.

Thanks for any help or advise.

Old 09-30-09, 09:24 AM
M
You need to be about 3 feet away from any windows with direct venting.

Also adding any elbows reduces the length of allowable pipe by 5 and 10 feet of pipe per elbow, long radius elbows use 5, short radius use 10. Make sure you read the manual, pitch the pipe accordingly and use what you're allowed or less for venting. You also don't want to create a trap with the elbows as the exhaust will condensate and collect there, preventing proper operation.

And no, you don't run any flue pipe through anything. It should be ran directly outside, which may require drilling/cutting a new hole.

Hope this was helpful. I'm not entirely sure on placement near a furnace exhaust but you may have to check what is code. Hopefully somebody can chime in with that. I'll also add that I'm not sure what you meant by cold air return, I took it to mean fresh air intake, which would be ran in PVC to the furnace or one of those HEPA systems.

Old 10-13-09, 10:25 AM
R
Venting

Thanks for your input. In regards to cold air return, I was referring to the cold air return for my furnace that is installed to each room of my house. My water heater is located next to my furnace and the direction I was considering running the vent pipe for my water heater would take me through the cold air return. I'm not sure if I can go under it and going around it would add more 90 elbows that I would like.

I was thinking of stubbing the PVC pipe into my attached garage and venting it through the roof of my garage. Do you know how far from the second story wall the PVC vent pipe needs to be if I go that route.

Thanks.

RFW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: