Hot Water Runs Cold

Old 10-20-09, 08:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Hot Water Runs Cold

I recently purchased an older home that needed (still needs) a lot of work. However, I thought the water heater was okay. I have an eight year old gas water heater. The pilot light is working and the outside of the tank is slightly warm to the touch. Eventually, after 4 - 5 minutes, I do get hot water, but that wastes a whole lot of water. Before I run out and call a plumber and/or replace the water heater, I'd like to know that this is the source of the problem and that it can't be fixed (rather than replaced). This happens at every time of day from every faucet in the house, including those near the water heater and furnace, and far away from the exterior of the house. I've cranked up the thermostat on the water heater, to no avail.Any suggestions as to possible causes and solutions to my problem?

Old 10-21-09, 06:13 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
chcb312,

Welcome to the forums.

There are probably a couple of things going on here that are causing the problem. First, a gas WH has it's valve (and therefore the thermostat) at the bottom of the tank. If it sits for a length of time (several hours) the water at the top of the tank (where you are drawing it from) will cool, while the sater at the bottom will stay warmer because of the pilot lite.

Mine does the same thing, and it's VERY noticable in the kitchen, which is only a 8' run of mostly 1/2" pipe from the WH to the faucet.

The other reason for it taking time for the hot water to reach valves is the length of pipe run and the size of pipe involved between the WH and the valve.

I got tired of wasting the water and installed a recirc. system on mine years ago. Problem solved. Even though my kitchen faucet isn't directly involved with the recirc. system, running the pump cures the problem because it turns the water over in the WH and gets the hot water to the top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: