Debris coming from the water heater causing problems

Old 11-06-09, 12:49 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Debris coming from the water heater causing problems

I have a Craftmaster, gas water heater that's probably about 10-12 yrs old. It works great at providing plenty of hot water. But I'm getting debris in my hot water lines that is fouling everything up.

I've replaced the T&P valve 3 or 4 times in the past decade because it keeps leaking (my guess is that it's from debris getting into it). The hot water feed to my washing machine keeps clogging up with debris in the little metal filter it has. And now the drain valve on water heater appears to be clogged and is also leaking after I tried to flush the system yesterday.

When I tried to flush the heater, the water that came trickling out of the drain valve was actually pretty clear.

I haven't replaced the anode in it since I moved into the house 10 years ago.

My cold water lines don't seem to have any "hard water" debris problems, so I'm assuming the debris problem is with the water heater itself.

Would replacing the anode, drain valve & T&P valve likely get me fixed (with a good flush after I get the drain unclogged that is)? Or is there more going on here? Am I to the point of needing a new heater?

Old 11-06-09, 01:50 PM
Debris In Heater

Your anode rod is probably shot.

Your T+P valve is probably leaking because you have too much pressure and or no expansion tank.

A water heater thats 10-12 years is close to its' life span, I would replace, your call.

Old 11-07-09, 11:33 AM
D
Thanks for the response.

Does the debris problem sound like something that could be a result of the old heater w/ a bad anode? In other words, is a new water heater likely to resolve that problem for me?

Old 11-07-09, 01:38 PM
A new water heater should solve your debris problem, if you have one installed make sure the lines are flushed out as soon as it is installed. Have your water pressure checked to determine if you need a PRV and expansion tank, luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: