Another Water Heater Leak Question

Old 11-22-09, 08:56 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Another Water Heater Leak Question

My gas water heater has a slow drip leak from the drain valve and copper pipe attached to temperature and pressure release valve. The combined drips from each fill a gallon bucket every two days. This just started a week ago. Do I need to replace the drain valve and the temperature and pressure release valve or is their another remedy?

I've already drained the water heater once to no avail .

Old 11-22-09, 02:00 PM
What you will have to do is to check your incomming water pressure, if it's around 80lb. or above you will have to install a Pressure Reducing Valve and expansion tank, that should stop your T+P from leaking.

For your drain valve you will have to put a hose on it and drain some more water out, turn the handle off and on a few times to try to flush any dirt in the valve out, if that doesn't work you will have to replace the valve; if your valve is one of the plastic types, just replace it, they all go bad, luck.

Old 11-23-09, 07:18 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What Shacko said, but the drain valve leak can be stopped by simply putting a hose bibb cap on the drain valve. Much faster and cheaper than replacing the drain valve, and just as effective.

Old 11-23-09, 03:44 PM
C
Shacko/Lefty: Thanks for the replies. Where is the best place for me to check the water pressure? Can I just attach a guage to any outdoor faucet or does it need to be attached to the pipe comming into the water heater?

Old 12-13-09, 07:44 PM
J
Water leaking from the top joint/edge of the water heater

Hello,

I have a 75 gallon A. O. Smith gas water heater at home. I guess it is about 8 year old. All of sudden, my 8 years old son found the water on the floor next to the water heater. I carefully examined and figured out that water is dripping from several locations along the joint between the top piece and the trunk of the water heater.

Can I use some kinds of "superglue" to seal this? Does this mean I have to replace the unit? I did checked the T/P relief valve and did not find any leaking around it. I now shut off the cold water and turn off the gas valve. Any suggestions and advices are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-14-09, 01:45 PM
L
chazu,

The quickest and easiest place to check the water pressure is at an outdoor hose bibb. With all other valves off, attach a pressure gauge to the bibb then turn the bibb on. The pressure is going to be exactly the same anyplace in the cold water system that you measure it (downstream from a PRV if there's one in the system).

Old 12-14-09, 01:52 PM
L
JohnnyJ,

Welcome to the forums. The first thing you need to determine is exacly WHAT'S leaking. Since the water is showing up at the top of the WH, that could be a tank leak, a leaking nipple or a leaking supply line. Since the tank is only 8 years old, I would suspect a leak in a plumbing line before I suspected the tank, unless you have really bad water (a lot of minerals in it). If the water is showing up at the top of the tank, it's not the T&P valve unless that happens to be installed in the top of the tank. But that should have a 3/4" pipe attached to it that directs any water that comes out of it safely to almost the ground or floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: