Can a vertical vent be used with direct vent propane water heaters?

Old 11-22-09, 11:06 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can a vertical vent be used with direct vent propane water heaters?

I am replacing an atmospheric propane water heater, and I'm considering a direct vent (not a power vent, to keep it as simple as possible).

The heater is in our laundry room, and the present atmospheric heater sucks too much conditioned air from the house (energy waste, cold draft in house, etc). It also competes with the gas dryer for air (not sure if this is a good idea...).

I'd like to reuse the existing overhead roof vent for the concentric air vent to the new direct vent heater. I'd rather not cut a hole in my exterior wall for the new vent.

All info I have seen on direct vent heaters say that only a horizontal vent can be used.

Can a vertical vent be used? Reasons why not?

thanks

Old 11-22-09, 01:22 PM
Direct vent water heaters are usually a sealed combustion chamber with the air in and the exaust out are run out the wall. By trying to vent it with a overhead vent you lose the ability of it drawing in fresh air, this will create a extreme safety hazard with the exaust gases pooling in your laundry room; this can be a fatal situation.

From your post it sounds like there isn't any fresh air intake in your laundry room even tho you have two gas appliances.

I wouldn't modify the recommended hook-up for your water heater.

Old 11-23-09, 08:33 AM
R
Rheem makes a vertical direct vent heater

I just learned thet Rheem makes a vertical direct vent propane water heater (called "Fury DV").

I presume they work

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: