New water heater venting put in...funny smell now

Old 12-02-09, 06:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New water heater venting put in...funny smell now

A plumber replaced my 3 inch flu venting with 4 inch yesterday. On all the connection points where he put the 3 screws in he wrapped it with foil tape.

When the heater kicks in after it has been burning a while I get ..... well it smells like a metallic burning smell....I'm thinking it might be the adhesive on the foil tape cooking a bit..it smell pretty bad and the smell carries up my stairway...

Is this something any of you have seen or smelt before? Is it a normal occurrence with foil tape on really hot surfaces? If so Does it go away after a few cycles?

Thanks

Old 12-02-09, 02:37 PM
To the best of my knowledge that tape on your water heater is not rated for the amount of heat that it produces, I would get it off and seal with high temperature caulk,

Old 12-09-09, 06:17 AM
M
Originally Posted by shacko
To the best of my knowledge that tape on your water heater is not rated for the amount of heat that it produces, I would get it off and seal with high temperature caulk,
An HVAC guy came out and did just that however still adhesive residue from the tape on there....should this burn off eventually and if so how long?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: