Electric Water heater leaking on top?

Old 12-06-09, 04:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric Water heater leaking on top?

I have just replaced my electric water heater that came with the house that I purchased a couple of years ago. My old water heater sprung a leak in I think the heating element over a holiday weekend when I was out of town, and I came home to a puddle in the basement and water leaking out of the side access panels. I was able to get a new water heater from the warranty.

When I was taking apart the old water heater for the warranty replacement I decided that it was simple enough that since I had a friend helping me do the heavy lifting that we could install the new water heater.

Several hours earlier today I finished installing the water heater and it wasn't until several more hours after turning it on that I noticed that the insulation around my hot water out pipe is wet. I can't really tell if the nipple is leaking from under the plastic "plug" in the connector or if when I had my connectors loose and hanging over the water heater while I was connecting parts that water may have back flowed in to the connector. I did confirm that the water is currently hot around that connector, but I assume that is because the tank is now warm and the hot water from the tank would transfer heat through the water in the insulation.

I'm going to keep an eye on this to see if it lessens or gets worse. Since I'm a little paranoid about my water heater right now because I just had it replaced, I'm just wondering how long I should watch this before officially saying that the new water heater is defective or waiting to see if it dries up on its own. Thanks!

Old 12-09-09, 03:41 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If "the insulation around my hot out pipe is wet", you have a plumbing leak, not a WH leak. (That's assuming that the pipe with the wt insulation is above the WH.)

Remove the insulation and find out where the leak REALLY is!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: