water heater problems

Old 12-25-09, 11:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water heater problems

Merry Christmas everyone.My water heater just went out.I have a Richmond power vent natural gas hot water heater.My son was in the shower when he had no hot water.It is electronic ignition.There is water coming from the top around the pop off valve and possibly one other place.I immediattly turn everthing off.Is there anything it could be other than a bad heater.I have drained the rust from this thing several times since ive had it.I bought it about 6 or so years ago .any ideas on this. thanks for any inputl

Old 12-25-09, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 907 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Is there an LED light by the gas valve and is it flashing a code? Did you turn it off and then back on again? There should be a switch on the power vent part.

Old 12-25-09, 11:49 AM
If you have water coming from two places there is a good chance the heater is shot, sounds like an internal lead, sorry.

Old 12-25-09, 03:42 PM
water heater problems

The water heater that just went out is a power vent natural gas. I am wondering now whether to go with another natural gas power vent or look into the tankless style.I bought my direct vent for around $350.00 about 6-8 yrs ago. Now they are doulble that.Seems like some the the tankless arent much more money. What do you guys thinks of the tankless water heaters? I have a 3 bedroom 2 full bath house.any input would be apprec. thanks

Old 12-25-09, 09:27 PM
water heater problems

What is the difference between a natural gas water heater and a direct vent natural gas water heater other than plastic 4 inch venting the fumes out. In other words ,can you take the blower off and mount it to the regular natural gas heater?

Old 12-25-09, 11:50 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
...can you take the blower off and mount it to the regular natural gas heater?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! There are safety devices on the power vent water heater that prevent the burner form operating unless the power venting blower is working properly. A "standard" water heater has different safety devices.

Old 12-26-09, 05:25 PM
water heater problems

I have a couple of questions. I bought a new alliance natural gas direct vent,or powe vent,heater.Its taller than the one im replacing so im having to change some of the 3/4 inch copper tubing.My question is on the top of the power vent where the 3" plastic pvc exhaust sits i'm having trouble getting the pvc into the hole its suppose to sit in.There are a couple of screws holding sort of an extention.Is that extension removable so i can gaing a couple of inches or is that a no-no too. I'm up to my floor now. This water heater is about the same size everyone had around here in retail.I do realize you usually have to make a few changes when installing most everthing. Any ideas would really be appreciatted.Thanks

Old 12-26-09, 05:28 PM
water heater problems

I have a couple of questions. I bought a new alliance natural gas direct vent,or powe vent,heater.Its taller than the one im replacing so im having to change some of the 3/4 inch copper tubing.My question is on the top of the power vent where the 3" plastic pvc exhaust sits i'm having trouble getting the pvc into the hole its suppose to sit in.There are a couple of screws holding sort of an extention.Is that extension removable so i can gaing a couple of inches or is that a no-no too. I'm up to my floor now. This water heater is about the same size everyone had around here in retail.I do realize you usually have to make a few changes when installing
I almost forgot my other ? Exactly how level do these have to be? My other one just sit on the cement floor.It lasted 7 yrs. As close as you can right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: