Many boiler troubles the last few days. Need help

Old 01-02-10, 12:01 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Many boiler troubles the last few days. Need help

Hello, My house has a glow worm fuelsaver mk2 boiler , Or so it says on the covering. Its approx 28 years old and hasnt had many problems in its lifetime , its hardly ever been serviced which i know is a bad thing but theres no changing that now. We cant call a gas guy in as moneys pretty tight right now and getting the boiler replaced is a distant dream.

Anyway the problems all started on xmas night. Ill try to explain everything thats been done or has happened to it however im only 18 and havent been working on it personaly.

Xmas night we came home to find the pilot light was out. We was able to fire the pilot light back up but after turning on the water heater and central heating the boiler and pilot light would click off. The pilot light would also go out eventually if left without turning anything else on.

It was left for a few days till it became unbareably cold that we made the conclusion that dieing in a ball of fire while trying to fix the boiler wouldnt be so bad.

We read up on the internet and discovered a common problem could be a thermocouple. the next day we headed on down to a shop and picked one up, We replaced it and it seemed to keep the boiler working for longer , but it would still turn off after a random amount of time.

The next day we opened up the vents , after concluding that the strange smell comming from the boiler the day before while trying to reignite it could mean that the vents are blocked and theres some sort of safety thing to prevent gas being fired back into the house. Clearing them seemed to work! However my dad read that you should loosen the water valve of some sorts to releave pressure and then tighten it to build it back up.

He was unable to tighten the valve fully back up to increase the pressure and read that sometimes there can be problems with the valve if it hadnt been used in a while , So we decided we should replace it asap.

The boiler worked for the whole of that day , Making slight clunky sounds which we thought was caused by the lower pressure. We thought we had fixed the problem and all we had to do now was replace the valve to make sure its working in order.

However , that night the boiler turned off from the timer. It was pretty cold so my dad wanted to leave it on over night to heat the radiators, When he tried to turn it back on it failed and the pilot light went out.

Now we are unable to even get the pilot light to stay lit! held the gas feed on for 3 or so minutes and nothing will make the pilot light stay on. We tried changing the thermocouple again but to no avail.

And This leads us to today, We have run out of ideas on what could be wrong , we have opened the boiler up so many times now we are fearing we just broke something with out untrained hands. We just dont understand how it worked for a day but now its worse the it was on xmas night. Calling a guy in is a last resort option , its illegal to work on gas fittings in the uk if your not registered so we dont wanna get in any trouble.

I hope someone can help a very very cold guy out.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tuckaboo; 01-02-10 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 12:06 PM
T
Just one last thing to add , i noticed while having a look a bit ago that the boiler is damp when i put my fingers on some of the outer surfaces , im not sure if its because of the cold outside but i thought it was abit strange.

Old 01-02-10, 02:36 PM
Can't bring that boiler up on the net so I can't see layout of the control system.

The only thing that I can say is if you have water around the boiler thats not a good sign, you may have a control on the boiler that wont let it run when there is something wrong, sorry.

Old 01-02-10, 02:44 PM
T
Sorry i forgot to include the full name

Its glowworm fuelsaver mk2.

Got the name totally wrong

And the dampness only seems to have appeared over the last day or so

Old 02-03-10, 06:38 AM
G
Same issue

HI, just read ur post about the aforementioned boiler issues.

Around the same time my boiler did the same thing.

Now I can successfully light the pilot and not worry that it goes out.

However as soon as i select central heating or hot water from the control panel the boiler responds for about 15 seconds presumably heating the water, then completely goes out - pilot included.

On occassion I with a lot of hassle I can get it to work but when I do, there is a strange (like plastic burning) smell.

Also the burner flame seems to be a lot brighter than usual.

I have had the t/c replaced last year but that was to fix the fact that I couldn't even get the pilot lit.

I do know a few gas engineers and will probably get it sorted by them unless it either clears its self or I can.

Either way, I'll post here and let you know.

Old 02-04-10, 12:26 PM
G
Answer

Just had the engineer out to look at the problem.

On mine it is a part called a high limit stat.

The condensation he says is likely to contain CO so would be a good idea to get the thing replaced.

Obviously money is tight and I am looking to replace the part 1st then boiler in the future.

Something I did find though whilst searching was a grant for residents of England called warm front where you could qualify for a full new heating system.

The part I need looks to be about 15 squid but I owuld check out that grant whilst you're at it.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: