Gas water heater 50 Gal. A.O. Smith

Old 01-08-10, 08:48 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas water heater 50 Gal. A.O. Smith

Hi folks:
Can you please explain how I can add CLR cleaner to my gas water heater to clean it out. I know it can be done with electric
water heaters as mentioned on this site.
Also how can I replace the anode rod as well.
Someone please help.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-09-10 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Fixed the smilie.
Old 01-20-10, 07:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Outback2324

Add CLR cleaner to water heater to clean it out.........

I certainly would not recommend nor suggest doing that... Even though it may have been mentioned on this site.

My suggestions:
Before adding any chemical read the products label of chemicals it contains and the WARNINGS! Ingestion of the chemicals may not be wise idea.... Residuals will always remain within the tank regardless of amount of flushing done. IMO

Want to FLUSH tank to remove rust particles and/or debris. Read this: WATER HEATER DRAINING AND FLUSHING INFO:
Water Heater Draining, Flushing Information, Water Leak Detection, Help Pages & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Follow the procedure exactly as indicated and described.

To remove the anode rod you'll need a vertical clearance above the tank of about equal to the height of the tank. Which means in most cases the tank has to be removed from any stand or platform it may be on or laid sideways.

Stop by any local plumbing parts supply store in your area. Look at the rod you want to install. Determine it's height. That's the height it will take to remove and replace the existing rod.....

Might be a project you'll need lots of time and tools to due. Based upon the tanks age not mentioned.... may not be worth the time and effort. Might be better to simply replace the entire tank and be done with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: