gas WH and hot water on demand

Old 01-15-10, 05:05 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas WH and hot water on demand

It takes a few minutes before our water gets hot. I read through some posts here and everyone said this is normal.

I wanted to know if I can turn up the water heater during the winter or put insulation on the pipes to help correct the problem?

I think the water heater brand is "State." It is a 50 gallon natural gas. It's set to the little arrow which I believe is the recommended temp. The next two settings are A and B. Should I set it to A during the winter? The guy who installed it said I should never set it to B, but didn't say anything about A. Maybe the settings depend on the location? I'm in New York.

Secondly, do people insulate their pipes to help with the problem? The WH is in the unfinished basement, so I could insulate about half the length of the pipes until it disappears into the walls. How many degrees would that buy me?

Old 01-15-10, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 912 Upvotes on 770 Posts
The little arrow is the "caution" mark. Above that there is some risk of scalding which can be dangerous for children. You may turn it higher but just use caution.

Insulating your heater and your pipes will only buy you time. In will only slow the rate that the pipes cool down, not necessarily prevent the water from cooling off. In my experience it doesn't really make that big of a difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: