replacement Robertshaw 110R-4-tsp gas control?

Old 02-11-10, 07:19 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacement Robertshaw 110R-4-tsp gas control?

Hi--

I need to replace a Robertshaw Unitron 110R-4-TSP 16-537-015 gas control for a 1980's Montgomery Ward natural gas water heater model SRM33367B. My water temp has been random, nice hot water for three or four days, then a day of cool water, followed by hot water again. I've adjusted the temp up and down to try to get the right temps. My utility will fix (cost and labor) with my service plan, but service tech says that the 537-015 is unavailable. Is there a specific replacement for my Unitron 110R... or will any natural gas control, such as by Reliance/Rheem/Robertshaw, that meets the specs of gas pipe inlet, shank length, max temp etc do? Where on the internet can I find this info? Can anyone give me a specific make/model that will work?

Thanks.

Volfireman

Old 02-11-10, 07:50 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
volfireman,

Welcome to the forums.

Wait a minute!! You are thinking about spending roughly $100 to replace the control valve on a 25 to 30 year old WH??? Just how many more years do you think this thing is going to last???

FORGET IT!! Replace the WH!! You are NOT gonna be a happy camper if you spend the $$ to replace the control valve this wekk and have the tank start leaking NEXT week!!

Old 02-11-10, 08:31 PM
V
Not my cost

Lefty--

I agree this is a old water heater -- but my service provider is buying/installing the part. I have a contract with my utility for them to fix my HVAC/range/water heater for a fixed amount per month. The service tech will replace if they can find a part...and quick search by them (and a longer one by me) can't find a direct replacement for the Robertshaw 110R. If I can find the replacement for the Robertshaw 110R-4-TSP, they will fix my waterheater at no cost for me. If I had to pay this out-of-pocket, I wouldn't spend $80-170? to fix a 25 year old heater. The fine print in the contract says if the part is available in North America (with some exceptions) they will replace.

Old 02-12-10, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So if they CAN'T find an equivalent control valve, will they replace your entire water heater for free under terms of your service plan? If so, that would be the way to go and if it were me, I sure wouldn't be trying to help them fix an old heater if the alternative was a brand new heater!

Old 02-12-10, 01:41 PM
V
more fine print

Beachboy--

No, that would have required the Service Plus Plan for an additional $20/month, I only have the basic fix/repair plan (and it is too late to sign up now for the replacement plan.) The fine print says that the utility can choose not to repair the heater/HVAC/stove if the repairs cost more that the appliance is worth (my water heater is probably almost there) and give me $50, but only if I buy & install a new heater through them. Interesting question: Is any gas water heater older than 10 years worth sticking $100 into repairs?

Volfireman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: