Green particles collecting in faucet aerator - not dip tube

Old 02-24-10, 05:05 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Green particles collecting in faucet aerator - not dip tube

Hi all, we're getting light greenish particles collecting in the faucet aerators. These are very much like the particles from the decomposing dip tubes in the hot water heaters of the past -- but it isn't the dip tube.

We actually had a hot water heater with that problem and replaced the water heater in 2003 with a Ruud. The dip tube looks in perfect shape. Replaced it just to be on the safe side, but it looked smooth as a baby's bottom, no chunks missing. (The dip tube is short, about two feet long, but apparently that's the correct length for a Ruud. The bottom edge is cut cleanly and it's smooth inside and out.)

Something is decomposing just like those dip tubes did.

These greenish particles float on water and crush to a powder, just like the dip tube particles did seven years ago. We haven't seen them for years, until this month. (What, are we cursed with these things? ) Getting a lot of them. Cleaned the sink aerator last night and this morning about a 1/4" deep worth in the aerator. Actually so much of it that it completely stopped the water flow.

So, if it's not the dip tube, any ideas what else it could be?

Could there be something else inside the hot water heater made of the same material? (You'd think the manufacturer in 2003 would have known to avoid that of course, but....???)

Any ideas? Thx.

Old 02-03-11, 09:22 PM
H
sounds like i have the same problem

i have had the identical problem -
i thought it was the dip tube (i have an aosmith heater ~1995) but the particles are exactly as you've described them -

have you figured out what they are and how to fix it?
do you have any idea if they are unhealthy?
should we not be drinking the water?
thanks -
charlie

Old 02-04-11, 12:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hmmm. Never encountered the green particles you describe, and I can't imagine what they might be.

If your washer water hoses have screens on them, you might check them to see if the cold and hot water hose both have this debris in the screens. If so, that would suggest the source of contamination was your incoming water supply rather than the water heater.

Just a thought.

Old 02-04-11, 07:49 AM
H
greenish white particles -

thanks - but it's just the hot water -

Old 02-04-11, 07:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,307 Upvotes on 2,053 Posts
Does your house have copper pipes or is the supply line to the house copper? There also could be copper in the water.

Since you've checked the dip tube in your water heater did you also look at the anode?

Old 02-04-11, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Homeckr this post was a year old and you should start a new thread for your issue.

Here is a good site for reading. 16 year old water heater should be replaced. I would not throw too much money at it.

Tanklets: Water heater dip tube problems

Mike NJ

Old 02-04-11, 08:18 AM
H
maybe it is the dip tube -

haven't checked the dip tube -
but now i'm thinking that it probably is the diptube and some of the particles are slightly colored by the copper pipes -
since the water heaters are 15 +yrs old, and the ones i can get today are much more energy efficient, it may be time to bite the bullet and get new tanks -
the cost of cleaning these will be prohibitive -
i'll wait until the spring so the flood outside the sump drainage tube won't freeze -

it's too bad, because i was hoping to get about 50 yrs out of these - (;-))

any recommendations as to new water heaters (brand?) and getting them installed? - what should it cost? home depot? lowes? private plumber?

one (75gal) is for the house - the other (50?) is for the bathroom in a room over the garage that doesn't get used very much - they are located next to each other in the basement - would i be better off having the systems tied together and getting only one water heater? Im thinking that the cost of combining systems may be less than the cost of a second heater, and then Im only dealing with one -

can't wait to see what aosmith has to say about this . . .
i'll let you know -

Old 02-04-11, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Well your way out of warranty with that HWH. And if you got 16 years with an AO smith why would you use any other brand? I think AO smith is the leader in the industry. But thats just me. Are these vented by a metal vent? Atomospheric? You have alot of choices. The 50 for one bath is way too big. The 75 for the home is because you have a large soaking tub or jacizzi?

Are they gas????

I would do two of these 50 gal. Hook them up in parralel. 100 gal. You can shut one down to save gas if your HW demand is not high. Or if one breaks down you can still have hot water. Big tax breaks and rebates also.

Effex - Water Heaters Residential by A. O. Smith

If your power vented I would go with a Vertex. Migh only need one of these.

Power Direct Vent - Water Heaters Residential by A. O. Smith

Mike NJ

Old 02-05-11, 04:58 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I think AO smith is the leader in the industry. But thats just me.
I have always heard AO Smith made good water heaters, but I am a bit partial to Bradford-White myself. Could be because I have a good source for Bradford and not AO Smith. Regardless, in my home I have a nearly 15 year old Mor Flo from pre-GE days at Home Depot. When my Mor Flo either quits or starts leaking, I am sure it'll be a Bradford-White for me.

Why is it the older gas water heaters were all on three legs and all the new gas water heaters don't have legs? My older heater is shimmed close to 1/2" on one leg and that will be difficult to do on a new heater.

Old 02-05-11, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
[QUOTEWhy is it the older gas water heaters were all on three legs and all the new gas water heaters don't have legs? My older heater is shimmed close to 1/2" on one leg and that will be difficult to do on a new heater.
][/QUOTE]

Air infiltration......................................FVIR??????

Old 02-06-11, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by lawrosa
[QUOTEWhy is it the older gas water heaters were all on three legs and all the new gas water heaters don't have legs? My older heater is shimmed close to 1/2" on one leg and that will be difficult to do on a new heater.
]
Air infiltration......................................FVIR??????[/QUOTE]

I still don't see why they couldn't still have legs. I figure it's just another way to lower cost per unit.

Old 02-06-11, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
The air came in from the bottom on HWH with legs. Now withFVIR there needs to be some kind of fire break so to say. The air comes in from the sides now and the burners are sealed. On the ones that are not sealed yet there is a sniffer that smells fumes placed at the burner opening.

Mike NJ

Old 02-12-11, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by lawrosa
The air came in from the bottom on HWH with legs. Now withFVIR there needs to be some kind of fire break so to say. The air comes in from the sides now and the burners are sealed. On the ones that are not sealed yet there is a sniffer that smells fumes placed at the burner opening.

Mike NJ
Ok......So, why couldn't the manufacturers offer an optional leg kit to boost the height about 2 inches? The "fire break" would still be there.

Old 02-12-11, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
I think the legs always bent or got damaged in shipment/handling. Alot of RMA's. The units with legs were a PITA to move around. Could not walk them very well. Flat bottoms just roll it to the location...

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: