Cold water in the morning

Old 02-27-10, 02:53 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cold water in the morning

I have an 8yr old gas water heater that for some reason doesnít give hot water in the morningÖ but 15mins after Iíve had a shower at 7am (luck warm water) I get hot water all day until next morning. Iíve tried turning up the thermostat to near max but still luck warm water in the morning. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks DC Beer 4U2

Old 02-27-10, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well...either run a load of laundry or the dishwasher later at night...or run the water for 5 min or so til the burner kicks on in the morn..then wait til it kicks off to shower.

Old 02-27-10, 03:11 PM
U
Thx for the quick reply Gunguy45... Thats kinda what I've been doing for the past few months but was hoping someone on the forum would recognize the issue and recommend a fix.

Thanks DC

Old 02-27-10, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well..I don't think its really a problem...its just kinda the nature of the beast. WH's have a pretty large swing on the stats..not like for the house heat.

The only thing I could say is maybe up the temp a little...or up it a lot and add a tempering valve...

Old 02-27-10, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 917 Upvotes on 775 Posts
As GG pointed out WH's have a fairly large swing on them but yours seams to be a little too much. If your morning shower is just lukewarm, you have the hot knob wide open, and the cold off, seams to me that is a little much. Not a WH pro so I can't tell you the fix for sure, but I would try replacing the thermostat.

Old 02-27-10, 05:40 PM
U
Yeah, itís definitely not a normal operating behavior since everything was working fine few months back hot water 24hr a day unlike now. I was really hoping this was a common issue and there was a sure fix for it. But the thermostat seems like a likely culpritÖ Iíll look into replacing it. Any other suggestions would be wonderful. Thnx DC

Old 02-27-10, 06:18 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Since the thermostatic gas valve is a significant portion of the cost of a new water heater you might be money ahead just replacing the entire water heater. If it is a fairly new heater (less than three years) contact the manufacturer and ask for a warranty replacement. If the heater is closer to ten years old then adding a new thermostat is pretty much sending good money after bad. If the age is somewhere in between then the option of running enough water in the morning to get the burner to start and then waiting ten minutes is the most cost effective until the heater completely fails.

My gas water heater is now 11 years old and I have exactly the same syndrome, actually had it for the last couple of years. I will be replacing my water heater in the next few months.

Old 02-27-10, 06:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
It just sounds like your water heater is not working properly. The fact that you have the thermostat turned all the way up and are not complaining about your skin being burned off says that it is not working properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: