Help Replace Heating Element for Speed-O-Matic Water Heater

Old 03-07-10, 06:10 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Help Replace Heating Element for Speed-O-Matic Water Heater

Just needing some help with a water heater heating element. Recently the water had to be turned off briefly and so the electricity was turned off from the water heater using the breaker. After water was back on, turned electricity back on for the water heater again. Waiting for a couple hours and still no hot water, not even a little. Checked for busted pipes and all, no indication why it wasn't working. Not knowing much about water heaters yet, I assumed it might need more time to reset or something and then it will start working again. However the next morning it's still cold water.

I have checked with a multimeter that there is 120v from the ac line. I also checked the heating element (after looking it up online) with my multimeter set to ohm and it had no continuity at all. So it looks like that's the problem.

I have located a heating element online but I'm not sure it will work. The heating element in the heater seems to be pushed deeply into the heater and there are wires extruding from the hole. (As a side note: when the wires are pulled/pushed, there is a clanking noise as if the element is lose inside.) I have included some pictures below. The heating element I found is located at 1500 Watt Open Coil Dry Water Heater Element: Mobile Home Parts Store I'm guessing the label on the heater says 1500 watts but it's hard to tell (see photo below).

Also this heater has no thermostat, would it be advisable to get one and would I be able to find one that's compatible?

Removed images from here because they wouldn't show anyway. They are on tinypic and I guess this forum doesn't like tinypic. If someone can tell me how to add them, let me know thanks.

You can see all the images if you put tinypic dot com in front of the below text.
/a/1wx1g/4
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by D1G1T4L3CH0; 03-07-10 at 06:27 PM. Reason: For some reason this broke the images... I can't even link to them.
Old 03-09-10, 02:46 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Never mind this now. I just opted for a replacement water heater. Thanks.

gpitchon voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: