Expansion Tank OK on Hot Water Line?

Old 03-13-10, 09:36 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Expansion Tank OK on Hot Water Line?

Hello,

Today I installed a new hot water heater in my house, along with an expansion tank. Upon completing the job, I realized the expansion tank got installed on the hot water line rather than the cold water line. Every diagram I've ever seen had the expansion tank installed on the cold water side. However, I've never really seen an explanation for this - wouldn't the water pressure be equal on both side of the water heater? Is there a compelling reason to move it to the cold water side?

Thanks!

Old 03-14-10, 06:28 AM
The water in the expansion tank will initially be hot, but will cool. Probably take longer to get hot water out faucet. You are also wasting energy heating water that will just cool in the expansion tank.

I would just repipe.

Old 03-15-10, 05:45 PM
P
Good point - it will waste hot water. The very top of it gets warm, but the rest stays fairly cool (I think most the water travels straight through the line, so the cold water in the tank seems to stay cold), so we still get hot water to the faucet quickly. Since I went to all the trouble of insulating every bit of my hot water pipes I better move it to the cold side so I don't loose that energy.

For anybody who made the same mistake, I talked to the manufacturer of the expansion tank, and they said that it's fine on the hot water tank, but the bladder in it may have a shortened lifetime.

In a week or two once I get over the frustration I'll move it to the cold water side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: