Gas smell after pilot is out by flooded basement!!!Help

Old 05-02-10, 04:29 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gas smell after pilot is out by flooded basement!!!Help

I need some advice. Called the gas guy he said I need a plumber. Water got up to my burner assembly and put out my pilot light and or burner. Didn't reach control valve though. Opened up basement this morning and gas about knocked me down. Shouldn't the control valve shut off if the burner or pilot is put out????? Somebody give me some feedback please!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Old 05-02-10, 05:46 PM
Depends on the age of the water heater. If it is post 2003, then the manufacturer would most likely suggest that it can NOT be repaired. If it is older, it CAN be repaired but it may not be a good idea. At a minimum, you need to REPLACE the main burner assembly and the pilot burner assembly. If you are SURE the water was not higher, you may get by with not replacing the gas valve

You might have trouble getting a plumber to work on it. The liability exposure is too great. If you are the homeowner, I would recommend you follow that advice yourself.

Old 05-03-10, 10:58 AM
YOU NEED TO CALL THE GAS COMPANY RIGHT AWAY AND TELL THEM YOU HAVE A LEAK,THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO MESS AROUND WITH!

Old 05-03-10, 12:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,328 Upvotes on 2,070 Posts
Anytime you smell gas you should leave the house with your cell phone in hand and call the fire department or gas company as you walk quickly down the street. Many things in your house start and stop automatically and can generate a spark even without you doing anything.

Even if your water heater has an automatic shutoff valve, the valve can clog or fail so there is the possibility of gas escaping if the pilot goes out. How old is your water heater? If it 6 or 8 years old I might consider a whole new water heater instead of putting too much money into an old one.

Old 05-04-10, 11:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, when the pilot goes out, the gas should shut off.

Cleaning the burner, pilot burner and pilot orifice is not a big deal, so you should be able to repair and continue to use the water heater.

You'd need to have the gas odor checked by a competent person to determine where that problem is. If you have natural gas, call the gas utility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: