Is There a Recommended Electric Water Heater?

Old 06-08-10, 10:25 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is There a Recommended Electric Water Heater?

I think I am pushing my luck with my 19 year old electric Reliance water heater. It is still working and I can recall only one service call in all those years. I believe it was something with the thermostat. There seems to be 2 major brands that are carried at Home Depot and Lowes, GE or GE/Rheem and Whirpool. I have tried to do reaearch as to which one I should go with but both have customer complaints. I would appreciate any info. Tankless and gas are not an option.

Old 06-08-10, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 915 Upvotes on 773 Posts
I personalty like the Marathon electric water heaters which are made by Rheem. (google it) They have an all poly tank so they will never rust out. The insulation is very thick. So thick that my boss has one at his lake place which he turns off on Sunday and when he comes back on Friday the water is still hot enough to take a shower. Be sure to check with your electric company, They might have rebates or other intensives.

Here is some info you might like:

The electric Rheem Marathon water heaters vary in price more than most, because they're so efficient that many utility companies offer huge rebates and low-cost loans to encourage customers to buy them (although as electric heaters they don't qualify for a federal tax credit). With a high EF rating of 0.94, the Marathon water heaters are distinguished by their leak-proof tanks, made with a seamless molded polybutane inner tank supported by a filament-wound fiberglass outer tank. The tanks carry a lifetime warranty against leakage for the primary owner, but the warranty converts to a 15-year warranty if your home is sold. Since they don't use metal -- and therefore don't need any anode rods, they need less frequent repair. (Other tank-style water heaters eventually give emit a rotten-egg smell that means the anode rod needs replacing.)

The 2.5-inch-thick insulation on the Marathon water heaters minimizes heat loss to about five percent in 24 hours. First-hour ratings for the 50-gallon tanks range from 51 to 61 gallons, depending on the model. The 50-gallon Marathon MSR50245info (*Est. $1,100) for example has an FHR rating of 61 gallons. This is also a good water heater to consider if you need a big tank, since an 85-gallon Marathon water heater doesn't cost much more than a 50-gallon model, and the 0.92 EF rating is only slightly lower.

Info above is from here: Tank Water Heaters - Water Heaters Reviews

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: