Top Performer Water Heater

Old 07-09-10, 05:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Top Performer Water Heater

We have a Top Performer Model S50TP 50 gallon hot water heater that is starting to leak around the base. It was manufactured in 2003 and installed in 2004. Are these pieces of you know what only supposed to last 6 years? We have NO issues with our water so I cannot understand why it would fail so soon. Any ideas? Any recommendations for a replacement that would last A LOT longer than this POS?

Old 07-10-10, 06:12 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Water heaters come with something like 6, 9, and 12 year warranties... I bet yours was just out.

I'm moving your post over to the 'water heater' forum, where you might get some better answers.

Old 07-10-10, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is this a gas or electric tank?

I'd investigate to find exactly where the leak is coming from for openers. You might need to tear away some of the sheet metal and insulation to track it down.

Old 07-13-10, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer
Is this a gas or electric tank?

I'd investigate to find exactly where the leak is coming from for openers. You might need to tear away some of the sheet metal and insulation to track it down.
Indirect fired water heater...coil runs down through the center containing hot water from the boiler...LP gas.

It is covered under the 10 year warranty as it is only 6 years old...of course, that just covers the cost of the unit itself, not labor to remove and re-install. It's gonna run me $535 to replace.

Leak looks to be coming from the drain valve at the base of the tank where it is soldered/brazed to the tank body...slow leak at the moment so I have elected to simply get it replaced with the Top Performer Plus under warranty.

Old 07-13-10, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
Water heaters come with something like 6, 9, and 12 year warranties... I bet yours was just out.

I'm moving your post over to the 'water heater' forum, where you might get some better answers.
In my haste I did not see that forum section, thanks for the move! Beer 4U2

Old 07-23-10, 02:53 PM
J
Originally Posted by 6crnbnh
Leak looks to be coming from the drain valve at the base of the tank where it is soldered/brazed to the tank body...
Could the solder/braze joint be repaired? Seems like an easier, cheaper solution than replacing it. I haven't seen it though, so ask your plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: