water leaking from hot water tank vent (?)

Old 09-17-10, 10:56 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water leaking from hot water tank vent (?)

hi there - i have a leak in the vent (at least i think that's what it's called!) coming out of the top of my hot water heater. when i turn the hot water off and then turn on the hot water tap to get rid of the excess water in the pipes the leak stops. its leaking from a joint and then slides down and drips.... do you think the vent could be clogged and is causing condensation to leak or something?? is there some way to easily fix this??

i have pictures but can't figure out how to insert them....

my hot water tank is gas - it has a sticker on it that says "giant/greenfoam"

sorry if this is a stupid question... i'm a girl that knows nothing about this kinda stuff and i am afraid that if i call a plumber, they may take advantage of my ignorance!!
Old 09-17-10, 12:37 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.
Old 09-17-10, 12:53 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Cleveland, OH USA
Posts: 618
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
where is water coming from?

I am not a plumber but I have replaced my water heater twice and done minor plumbing repairs so take this for what it is worth.

The original post is unclear. Is water coming from one of the pipes coming out the top of the water heater or from the hollow/open area under the vent cap? If from a pipe, then some soldering and a torch should correct it. If youhave neverdone it before, you may want to call a plumber. If it is coming from below the vent cap, then you have a leaking tank. You will need a new water heater as you can't and don't want to repair a leaking tank.

To be clear, the reason the leak stops when you turn off the incoming water and open a faucet is because you have depressurized the system. The leak is spraying up and out because of the water pressure. When you turned off the water and released the pressure with the faucet, there was no more pressure, just water sitting in the tank. You may find the drip running down to the burner now instead of up to the vent.

For a leaking tank, I have been told that it is not likely to burst (catastrophic flood) but you probably want to start lining up a replacement tank on sale somewhere. Make a note of the specs from your current tank and shop for something equivalent.

- Peter

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: