HW vent size 3" -4"

Old 09-20-10, 04:57 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HW vent size 3" -4"

I have 14 yr HW Gas 50 gal ,is still ok, makes some crackling noises after use hot water, so i am ready to shop for a new one, this one have 4" vent on top, connects to chimney insert 6 yr old [after install HE furnace which vents with pvc trough side wall.] i think is a 5" metal alloy flexible pipe pulled form top of chimney down to basement and the 4" galvanized pipe 4" is connected to it.
New energy saving HW i looking to buy they have 3" vent, can i connect it to this chimney flex 5- 4" then reduce to 3" at the heater vent?

Thansk GY
Buying either Lochinvar 50 gal, or HD GE 50gal tall gas type.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-10, 05:33 PM
I don't see any problem with it. You are going from a 3"-4" vent opening to a 5-6" opening.

Old 09-20-10, 10:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by gyuri View Post
New energy saving HW i looking to buy they have 3" vent, can i connect it to this chimney flex 5- 4" then reduce to 3" at the heater vent?

Thansk GY
Buying either Lochinvar 50 gal, or HD GE 50gal tall gas type.

Having an oversized vent can be a problem which will cause condensation, water and rust in the vent. A properly sized vent will keep the combustion products hot until they are vented outdoors.

An oversized vent, especially on high efficiency equipment can permit combustion gasses to cool of and condense into water, which can cause problems.

Check the installation manual for the equipment carefully for a discussion of this issue. Usually you will find it discussed and suitable parameters for vent sizing specified.