State Select water heater pilot problem

Old 09-29-10, 07:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
State Select water heater pilot problem

I have a State Select water heater purchased about 6 years ago. When the water heater is done running, it not only shuts off the burner but the pilot goes out also. We cleaned out rust around the burner, cleaned the air intake, checked the flue (not clogged and no heat blowing out of the the top of the water heater). The pilot stays lit after lighting it with no problem so I don't think it is the thermocoupler. And if I turn down the thermostat myself to shut off the water heater, the pilot stays lit with no problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to check?

Old 12-26-11, 01:54 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Same problem with State Select gas water heater

It has to be the gas valve/control box. I had the same issue with my State Select gas water heater. From the numbers on the tag it was made in 1998 and it is now 2011. Pilot started going out. I would relight it and it would burn, but when the main burner went out so did the pilot. This went on for just two or three days before the pilot stopped and would not stay lit when releasing the pilot button. Put in a new thermocouple and no dice. Took old thermocouple to an established plumbing supply company and they tested it OK. All it leaves is the control box with the gas valve in it where the gas lines and the thermocouple attach. The dial does not feel right. Too much play at the off/pilot end of the dial. Wonder if this is a common failure. The house here is 11 years old and that is the exact average life of water heater. Amazing!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: