Water Heater and Clothes Dryer Location

Old 12-03-10, 08:59 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater and Clothes Dryer Location

I have a natural gaswater heater located in my garage. It is 18 inches off the floor and is not Flammable vapor resistant. My questions is: can I safely store flammable like gasoline, aerosols in the garage. Should they be stored low/high or does it matter.

Clothes dryer (natural gas). I have a clothes dryer that is located in a hall way (recessed) about 10 feet from the door that opens to the garage. Is this okay, or is the clothes dryer have to be raised 18 inches because the garage may have flammables stored in it.

Thanks for your answers.

Old 12-03-10, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
What make and model is your HWH? Although, there are several types of vapor sensors or fire breaks internal to HWH,s that you may or may not know about. Such as the corderite disks in the AO smiths from the early 2000's. I could better guide you there but you absolutly should keep any flammable's as far away as possible. And that most likely is the code in your area to have the heater 18" above the floor incase flamables are spilled.

Your dryer is fine. Its in the living area and code does not require this. Does your dryer have ridgid metal vent? That is code and too many homeowners have that plastic metal looking accordian style hose that causes fire.

Do you have a lolycolumn? This is also code so you dont crash into your HWH and blow up.

Mike NJ

Old 12-03-10, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well...your insurance agent will tell you not to store flammables in your garage, but everyone in the world does it, if they don't have garden sheds or even if they do. Spray paint and such should be fine...as they are only a hazard in a fire and are relatively small sources.

Sealed gas cans and such are no more a problem than parking your car in there.

No issues with the dryer....mine is about 3 ft away from the door.

Old 12-03-10, 09:47 AM
T
The HWH is a Kenmore Power Miser 6 with Power Vent built in 2004. I checked it out and the boilier area is open to the outside air. No lolycolumm, but we do not park cars in our garage. I am now keeping the flammables about 10 feet from the HWH. I use to keep them up high, but moved them to about 3 feet above the ground. Does the highth of the storage make a difference?

Old 12-03-10, 09:53 AM
T
Thanks for the reply. I have spray paints, but also have a spray cleaner for my bicycle that contains aetone and other flammable ingriedents. I assume I can still store this in the garage?

Old 12-03-10, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
This unit is sealed combustion chamber. You could tell if you take the burner cover off the front there is a little glass window. That means its sealed to the outside and air enters through a one way type intake in laymans terms. It has some sort of fire break to prevent explosion from vapors. Even though you dont park your car in the garage its still a garage and a loly column is needed. Read your owners manual about flammables. It will guide you with all saftey issues.

Mike NJ

Old 12-03-10, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
One point....though the column may be required NOW...you don't have to install one if it was not there and required originally. Good idea..yes....required to retrofit...no.

My garage was similar at my last house.

Old 12-03-10, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Yes your grandfathered. I would want one if it was me. A hilti ,column and cement.Done. Does the HWH have a window at the burner?

Mike NJ

Old 12-03-10, 10:28 AM
T
The HWH does not have a glass window. When the cover is removed it is open to the pilot light and broiler.

Can someone tell me if it makes a difference if flammables are stored high or low in the garage?

Thanks for all your answers. It has been very helpful

Paul

Old 12-03-10, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
If you feel like it...keep them low. That's why the WH is raised. Flammable vapors are heavier than air, therefore they would accumulate near the floor.

Again...in sealed containers it doesn't really matter. You'd need a fire for them to become a hazard.

Old 12-03-10, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
So you remove the burner cover and you can see the igniter and no window? Powervent would be elctric ignition. How about a small round looking thing below the burner cover with 2 wires? Thats the FVS. I am trying to find the manual on that unit. 2004 I know that had sometype of protection but I know the power vents were a few yrss behind in this technology.

Mike NJ

Old 12-03-10, 01:36 PM
T
Mike,

I remove the cover and I can stick my finger or whatever in as far as I want- right into the flame.

I have a couple more questions. If I got the Flammable Resistant type of HWH could I then use flammable materials- example- cleaning my bicycle with flammable fluids sprayed from a can.

Also, If I clean my bike outside the garage. How long should I wait until I put it back into the garage- 5 or 10 minutes?

Thanks for your help

Old 12-03-10, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Hey TH...I know you want to be safe...but you are getting way paranoid about it...lol. The exact air/fuel mixture has to be so precise..the odds are astronomical of it happening. Just opening the garage door will provide enough ventilation.

Look at how many problems people have keeping their furnace or WH lit...and they are designed to ignite.

Not ragging on you...just stating facts. Don't pour a gallon of acetone or gasoline on the floor, then fire up a propane torch and you should be just fine.

Old 12-03-10, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Really this is no joke and you seem like you are trying to determain how much time before you get yourself in trouble.

http://c.sears.com/assets/own/33616e.pdf

LISTEN TO ME. READ THIS MANUAL AND PAY ATTENTION TO EVERYWHERE IT SAYS:

DANGER

EXPLOSION

WARNING

CAUTION

I saw a water heater blow up go through two floors and land 1/2 a mile away with deadly results. This was in a complex in hoboken NJ. The kids were playing with flammables. No Joke.

Mike NJ

Old 12-03-10, 02:06 PM
T
Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the manual pdf link. My worries are now resolved.

Old 12-03-10, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
I wasn't saying it was a joke..but I think the blowing up is a non-issue WITH PROPER VENTILATION...as I said.

The water heater going through 2 floors was probably due to some amateur plumber eliminating the T&P valve or capping it off when there was another obvious problem with the thermostat.

JMO of course.

Old 12-03-10, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Just trying to stress saftey. Everyone has thier own fear level.

Mike NJ

Old 12-03-10, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Absolutely.....
btw...yer putting out some good info..if I didn't say before...welcome!

Old 12-05-10, 09:44 AM
T
Just one more question so please bare with me. I get storing flammables in sealed containers. How about aerosols? I have lost the caps for a lot of them. Do I need to have the caps for them to be sealed?

Thanks

Old 12-05-10, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Caps do nothing but keep the spray valve clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: