Problem replacing anode.

Old 12-05-10, 12:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem replacing anode.

Hi, I'm new here, love this site.

I recently moved into a new house. We have well water, and I noticed that the water, esp. the hot water, smelled very metallic. Trying to determine the source, I naturally pulled the anode, cut it off about 6 inches from the top, and replaced it. I taped it before I replaced it, threaded it to tight by hand to ensure it went in properly, then tightened it up. If this works, I'll then know I need to replace the old anode with a different type (probably start with aluminum-zinc combo). Anyway, my problem is that I am getting water seeping out around the entry point. I backed it out, re-taped it, checked the threads, and retightened it. Same thing. I guess my question is what material am I threading into? If I'm going into something soft I dont want to overtighten it and mangle my threads. If I'm going into something sturdier, then does anyone have any ideas how I get this leakage to stop?

Thanks so much.

CS

Old 12-05-10, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi welcome this is from waterheaterrescue.com and may help for your anode question for smelly water.

Solutions to Stinky Water In Water Heaters

This one for anode questions.

Sacrificial Anodes: What keeps water heaters from rusting out

As far as your leak I am not there and assume it may be cross threaded or not enough teflon tape/paste.

What yr and what type of HWH do you have?

Mike NJ

Old 12-05-10, 02:03 PM
C
Thanks so much for the quick reply...I don't know the year of the heater, but it is a Whirlpool.

Also, I've been working on it via an access hole on top of the cover....if anyone can tell me how to disconnect my control panel (located on the top cover) and remove the cover I might be able to see what I'm doing better. Will try to post pics later. Thanks!

Old 12-05-10, 05:10 PM
C
Old 12-05-10, 05:13 PM
C
Old 12-05-10, 05:16 PM
C
Like I said, if someone can tell me how to get the top off I can probably get a better view.

Old 12-05-10, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Could you take a pic of the anode rod??? Where you took it out from, or replaced? The cut?

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: