Lower Element/Thermostat Issue

Old 12-09-10, 11:22 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lower Element/Thermostat Issue

Hello all, thanks in advance for any help!

I have a Rheem 40g Double Element - Non-Simultaneous 240V water heater with the Thermo-O-Disc thermostats. (Upper: AP-8293, Lower: AP-8295)

The lower element and or thermostat has stopped working. When the unit is idle, not powering the element(s), all my volts read at 240. When the unit is heating the upper element/thermostat read 240V but the lower readings are at only 70V.

I am about to head out of town for a few days so I do not have time right now to give more detail but that is the basics. Is there a way to know what has failed on the unit based on that type of info?

Old 12-09-10, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Turn off power to the HWH. Remove one wire from eack elemnet and do a continuity check. If you have continuity the element is good. Even though you have 220 at the elements does not mean they are working. You really have to test for amp draw or continuity as I explained above.

If elements are good then you need to check t stats. Check voltage at one all the way up and one all the way down and visa versa. You should also hear a click when the t stat come on. 220 on 0 off.

Mike NJ

Old 12-09-10, 06:11 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mike! I'll do just that when I get home.

Updates to come...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: