No hot water!!!

Old 12-09-10, 01:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No hot water!!!

i live in a really old house and have no lease and honestly think if i tell the landlord the water heater is broken he wont replace it. i think it maybe a sediment build up but i'm not sure.

i live in the south, but it got below freezing last night and when i woke up this morning there was no hot water. we left the cold water running so the pipes wouldn't freeze, but when i turn the hot water on only cold comes out. the water heater doesn't sound like its on, i know i shouldn't have but i shook it a little and heard water start to flow but then stopped.i turned the breaker on and off and had no results. i thought perhaps the line might be frozen but we've tried it several times today and had no luck. i plan to flush the tank when i get home from work but the idiots that put it in didn't put a cut off to the pluming and the access panel is in the corner where i can not get to it. i read somewhere that there is a manual breaker in the access panel of the water heater. so my questions are

can i flush the tank without cutting off the cold water? i know the power has to be cut.

will sediment build up cause the breaker on the water heater itself to trip?

Old 12-09-10, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Flushing actually is better with the water turned on...but that's not the problem.

Is the water flow fine when you turn on the hot water only?

It may be that it needs to be reset, but with no access to the panels..that won't be possible.

Can you see a brand and model number?

Old 12-09-10, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I assume electric HWH. First verify 220 to the HWH. If you have power then check elements. Disconnect power then remove one lead from each element and test for continuity with a multimeter. If you have continuity then elements are good.

Let us know what you get. Sediment will not cause no HW but if you ran a pencil stream to keep from freezing you may have had the Hot on and delpeted to tank. Turn off all water and try the hot after 20 minutes.

Mike NJ

Old 12-09-10, 01:59 PM
K
the water flow is fine when i turn it on, its possible with a small screw driver i can get access i'm just going to have to use a mirror to see whats in the panel, there are no stickers or model number that i can see, but i can only see that back side of the heater, if i can manage to get in to the panel what do i need to do to reset it. do you know what could have possibly caused the problem? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-09-10, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
There is a reset at the top t stat if you can get the cover off. From what I know is these trip if the HWH goes above the hight temp limit. Usally bad t stat.

Mike NJ

Old 12-09-10, 03:51 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I suggest that you check the landlord-tenant laws in your area. I suspect that hot water is covered under these laws and the landlord is required to fix any problems with the water heater in a timely manner.

Old 12-09-10, 05:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Furd is right, the landlord has to replace this but, yes, it could be the reason he tosses you out

Leases do protect tenants as well as landlords, is there a good reason you don't have one?

Old 12-12-10, 07:46 PM
K
well he tried to fix it by putting an oversized element that didnt work, so i bought a used one on craiglist that was a couple of years old and looks new but still no hot water, it has power but i think the elements may be bad. i can see the element at the top but there are no wires going to it. havent pulled the plastic piece off the bottom to see if i can get to the element there. if the top element has no wires attached how is it powered???

Old 12-12-10, 08:14 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
if the top element has no wires attached how is it powered???
Apparently it isn't. Sounds as if you bought a piece of junk that has had the wiring butchered just to get it to work long enough for a sucker to buy it. If you want to get this tank working, you'll have to get someone who knows electric water heaters to rewire it properly and check the components, such as elements, thermostats and high limit, and replace the bad parts.

Old 12-13-10, 06:19 AM
K
i know electrical wiring and it hasn't been butchered where the element screws in its flat, there are no termianals. i think i was the first person to open it. the plastic covering had never been taken off the thermostat. i'll post a picture when i get back from work

Old 12-13-10, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Yes take a pic. You did not say how big the HWH was. It may have one element?

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: