Low hot water pressure in electric water heater

Old 12-14-10, 09:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low hot water pressure in electric water heater

I need some help..we have a 55 gallon hot water heater. The hot water is still hot but the pressure in the kitchen is only about half of what it was, and the hot water pressure in the bathtub is almost down to a trickle. My husband drained the entire water heater and replaced the flexible water hoses and it is still just a trickle. A plumber he is not but if he had instruction on the steps to take he will be able to do it. Can you please tell me what we should do to eliminate the problem?

Old 12-14-10, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Do you have good hot water flow anywhere in the house?

If your kitchen sink has good cold and only hot is slow the hot line may be clogged with dip tube material from the HWH. How old is it? If both hot and cold is slow remove the aerator at the spout ( twist left to unscrew) and clean. You may see blue and white pieces in the screen. Thats likely from the HWH.

The shower you state is hot at a trickel. What type off faucet? The cartridge on hot side may be clogged. You may have single lever with pressure balace cartidge. You may have old washer style and seats. You may need to change the cartridge, but while you have it apart blow the line out with the cartridge out. You will need to turn the house water back on for a couple of bursts.The water should just shoot back into the tub and blow the crap out.

If it is the HWH it may just happen again and water heater replacement may be neccesary. If you have a plumber change the HWH explain you situation and he should blow all the lines out for you when he changes it.

Let us know and I hope this helps.

Mike NJ

Old 12-14-10, 11:54 AM
B
Well the HWH is only about five years old, but the pipes in our entire house are very old. Probably the originals that the house was built with. The faucets in both the kitchen and the bathtub are probably about the same age. The kitchen sink has pretty good hot water pressure but the bathroom faucet is the trickle. The shower has good pressure as well so it may just be the HW faucet in the bathroom. Do you think it needs to be replaced or would we be able to take the faucet off and clean it? Did the older style faucets (the one with the seperate hot cold and shower style) have cartridges?

Old 12-14-10, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Is the bathroom both hot and cold trickle? Clean the aerator if both hot and cold trickle. Is it two handle or one? If not and only the hot water is slow then the valve under the sink might have had the washer come apart. Try to close and open that valve several times with the hot water running. Any change? If no change the to see if the clogg is in the faucet or pipe turn the hot water valve off under the sink and remove the supply where it attaches to the faucet. If its a solid copper supply go buy a flexable one and replace. Then before you hook up the sink side, aim the flex line in a bucket and open the valve to blow the line out. If you have good pressure there then its in the faucet. Put back together and take the cartridge out of the faucet and replace. Put rag over the opening with the cartridge removed and open the hot again. You are tring to get whats clogging out. It may just be in the cartridge and when replaced may work.

Aerator clean

Clogged Faucets Solutions Video
Repairing bath and kitchen faucets Video

Faucet replace but it shows the supply removal.

YouTube - How To Replace a Bath Faucet - The Home Depot

Mike NJ

Old 12-14-10, 01:08 PM
B
Thank you, no the bathtub is only a trickle on the hot side, the cold side has great pressure. Also, the sink in the bathroom has an ok pressure, not great but way better than the tub itself. The tub has a three handle system, hot cold and shower and the hot is the only one that is a trickle? The shower works great as well.

Old 12-14-10, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
That does not make sense that the shower works hot and cold good pressure, but the spout trickles out hot. There is a washer in the center handle that only diverts water up to shower or down to spout. If it works one it absolutely should work the other.

Leave the faucet off and take the center stem apart. See what you find.. Let me know. Loose seat???? Washer fell off??

Mike NJ

Old 12-14-10, 01:41 PM
B
Thank you very much. I will print this information out for my husband and see what we find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: