Water inside top panel.

Old 12-15-10, 03:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water inside top panel.

My water heater stopped working and after a 2 hour search on the internet I figured out how to reset it by opening the top panel. But, upon opening the top panel I discovered sitting water within the enclosure of the panel. This looked awfully dangerous to me since there are electrical wires running through there and some of the wires are going right into the water. The insulation material that covers the panel is all wet on the bottom because of this and I believe that this water is the cause of my problem. Anyone know if this is normal? And if it is not how can I fix it?

Thanks a bunch!
Eddie

Old 12-15-10, 10:25 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
It is not normal. You may be able to fix it if the leak is from a leaking threaded connection. With the power off carefully check the point of insertion of the upper electrical element, it may be a single pipe-thread screw-in element or it might be a four-bolt flange mount. Also check the threaded pipe connections on the top and upper side of the heater. If any of them are leaking AT THE THREADS you can probably unscrew them, clean off the old sealant and then re-attach them using a combination of Teflon tape and Teflon paste.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: