water heater won't light

Old 12-17-10, 10:34 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water heater won't light

I have a 6 year old AO Smith propane water heater, model #GPSH 50-101. The heater wont light by itself and shows an error code that the system is in lockout.If I unplug the unit from the wall and plug it back in it tries to light 3 times and shuts itself off and shows the same error code.If I unplug the 3 wires that go to hot surface ignitor and sensor and plug them back in,it will light and work great. Do I need to replace these parts or could it be something else?

Old 12-17-10, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Code vac A and B

Yes trys to light three times then locks out. Does the flame actually light then go out?

Most likely the igniter. 6 yrs might be at the end of warranty on parts. Call ao smith they may send you the part for free. Tell them your hot surface igniter is bad. Have your serial # ready.

Mike NJ

Old 12-17-10, 11:00 AM
A
flame will not light unless i unplug the three wires and plug them back in

Old 12-17-10, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Could be the gas valve. What code is the gas valve throwing? What lights are on?

Old 12-17-10, 01:41 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You refer to a sensor. If it has a flame sensor, wipe the rod lengthwise with fine sandpaper or steel wool. Wipe just hard enough to clean it - not sand it down. Then try the heater start up again.

Old 12-18-10, 02:24 AM
A
the error code says the system is in lockout. 1. gas supply is off or too low to operate. 2. hot surface ignitor is not positioned correctly. 3. low voltage to the water heater. 4. electric polarity to the unit is incorrect. my propane tank is full.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: