Help: Air Valve Control Leaking!

Old 12-23-10, 06:40 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help: Air Valve Control Leaking!

2007: Purchased pump and tank (with internal bladder and external air valve control) from sears.
Issue: The AVC connecting the tank and pump started leaking water and soon after the pump pressure dropped on the gague and water stopped getting through the house.
- WELL Water (Clear and running before Issue)
- PUMP:
sears Model 390.2508
HP 1/2
Volk 115/230
- TANK with bladder on the inside and AVC on the outside
Vertical Water Tank

Plumbers are tell me $900 minimum because the entire tank, AVC and pump needs replaced, but to me the issue looks like the water leaking AVC. Any advice on how to fix it myself or what to pay?

Old 12-24-10, 08:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! "external air valve control" fill me in. I am not the brightest bulb in plumbing, but have a well set up at my house and rental cabin. What does it do? Is your pump external or internal to the well.

Old 12-24-10, 10:20 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
More Info, Bad News and Good News

More Info: The device is an AIR VOLUME CONTROL AV-42. It has a diaphragm. The PSI is supposed to be 28. It keeps the pressure in the tank so the wather is pushed out when needed.

Bad News: I called 4 different plumbers (Bigger Companies) who all said $900 minimum investment needed to get a new tank and pump then $150-$189 dollars an hour on top of that. One guy even came out and said he didn't know about my setup type but thought my well had gone bad so it needed replaced for thousands - I threw him out as nicely as I could. I guess all these big plumbers all assumed I had no choice having no water so planned to take me for all they could before Christmas Eve.

Good News: I stayed the night at my partents (neighbors) last night then had an independant plumber take a look this morning. For the cost of a $25 part and a fair price for labor I now have water running through my house (Clear Clean well water). All it took was 8 bottles of water in the pump, a new AIR Volume Control diaphragm and 28 lbs of air.

Thanks for replying - my disaster has ended :O)

Old 12-25-10, 05:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Persistence pays off. Certainly glad you were able to find an honest plumber who doesn't prey on the unsuspecting. 8 bottles of water to replenish your prime and the diaphragm. Amazing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: